General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone suggest a place to camp in Daytona?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can anyone suggest a place to camp in Daytona?

Hey everyone,

Looks like I'll be able to make Daytona. I was looking for suggestions on places to camp. Would prefer a quiet area and not a 24 hour free for all. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cabbage Patch is pritty good....actually it's a little south of Daytona.

A small country bar that they put up some tents around 2 sides (for a bigger bar) and a stage. Live bands most the time, and a small mid-way.

I kinda liked it.

Hope this helps

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Ocala National Forest, Peace and Quiet and only a 1/2 hour nice ride to town.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ocala NF is good. Pretty good ride to daytona. I have camped there and stayed at big scrub camp ground. they got showers.

In daytona there is a camp ground north of the harley dealership on us1. Looks like its pretty tame there and a good location. Also the White Eagle Bar west of the harley dealership on us 1 has camping. I would not worry about finding a place til you got there. Drive through some and see what you like.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
squarej
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been since 2002 but I always camped at Moonshine Campgrounds which was owned by or associated with Iron Horse Saloon. I was always happy there, pretty basic but they did have showers and sell food and beer there. Back in the day it was ten bucks a night, think it is around 15 a night now which might be per person not per tent - not sure as I was always solo.

Good Luck

Jamie

Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The Cabbage Patch does not have showers. It is a great place for the weekend, but primitive camping only. I've stayed there twice and had a blast. The people that are staying there are not into posing in the latest fashion. You won't see the latest greatest custom painted chopper trailer queen parked there in the dirt. They roll in with beer strapped to their bike and have a good time. The vendors, and daytime party is just across the street.

The Moonshine Campground is owned by the Iron Horse. It is pretty rustic, but has an old shower trailer. It is within a mile west of Destination Daytona (the Harley dealership) and I-95. It is within 3 miles of the Iron Horse. I have stayed there several times and it works for me. But rustic best describes my style...

There is also a campground immediately to the east of Moonshine that appears to be a modern campground. I've never stayed there, but it looks like a KOA or along those lines. Very nice look from the street. It definetely doesn't look as primitve as the previous 2. I may give it a try this year.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Holiday Travel Park at I-95 and Old Dixie Hwy. is about 18 miles north of the Speedway. Good location, about $20-$25 a night. Not wild and they serve breakfast and dinner at reasonable prices. They have clean heated restrooms and showers, they get crowded at peak times like the other campgrounds. Shower at odd hours and they are deserted. Located at the north end of the loop. Easy access to Daytona via Old Dixie HWY. or John Anderson Blvd. via High Bridge Rd. Easy no traffic route to Deland for the vintage stuff.

You can camp at the Speedway in the infield for free for the price of a daily race ticket. It varies in price depending on the race. From $0 when there are no races scheduled to about $35 for the big races. I have stayed at the track the last few years. The average for the whole week is pretty cheap. Accomadations are basic. No hot water in the bathrooms. The showers have hot water but no heat in the shower houses or bathrooms. The last 2 years have been unusually cold during Bikeweek so you have to be tough to take a shower in a cold bath house. The infield is secure. Daytona PD patrols at night. The tunnel closes but the main gate is open 24-7. The good news is its close to the Demo rides and other stuff around the Speedway. Centrally located to everything and right on top of the racing. Plenty of paces close by to eat much cheaper and better than the track vendors.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Try daytona200mc.com if you are looking for a quiet, clean place to tent camp. Close to the speedway and run by a great group.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Just on the southern part of Daytona in Louisa County Fairgrounds, Abate of Florida runs a campgrounds during bike week. I stayed there in 07. They did a good job of keeping security.

A few vendors and a food tent.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
Try daytona200mc.com if you are looking for a quiet, clean place to tent camp. Close to the speedway and run by a great group.
Agreed. Also try Florida State Parks.... always nice with showers, bathrooms, etc...

http://www.floridastateparks.org/

http://www.floridastateparks.org/fin...ct-central.cfm