General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Moves When Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Neutral

If my bike is rolling, it is much easier to find neutral. If it is stopped before finding neutral, good luck ever finding it. It's been like that from the time I received it with 2 miles on the odometer.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,615 Likes on 678 Posts

Start in neutral....put in gear....still surges. Whats the difference? BTW my evo 5 speed doesnt surge at all.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

all of my harleys have done that if they were in gear. normal

Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
I always start in gear and get a little surge.....normal. Not sure why starting in neutral would be considered the right way.
Because starting in neutral is easier on the starter and related parts.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyna rider
If my bike is rolling, it is much easier to find neutral. If it is stopped before finding neutral, good luck ever finding it. It's been like that from the time I received it with 2 miles on the odometer.
Blip the throttle while stopped and try to find neutral while blipping, it works for me.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I work on mine and ride it. Neutral is easier to find with a bike that is running and able to roll a little. Neutral is also easier to find if the clutch is adjusted right. Starting a bike in gear with the clutch disengaged still adds drag to the starter. 99% of the time I start my bike with the bike in neutral, clutch disengaged, front brake on. Starters are a bitch to replace. My Harley's will start in gear with the clutch engaged. Front brake helps make sure nothing moves. If I have a bad habit lighting off my HD's it is that I do it standing beside them. Developed that habit kick starting. Holding the front brake while lighting off my HD's is a new habit.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:30 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Never start a bike in gear unless it's been running a while and then only in a pinch always hit neutral before you touch a starter button please that's why a lot of cars have interlocks you must be in park or neutral to start and the clutch in . Plain common sense and a number of safety factors involved . Seen more people dump a bike hitting that button while in gear than you'll ever wanna know , best is when the have the clutch in , start then forget neutral and let the lever out . JERK , JERK nosedive sideways or fold a kickstand ....................
Yep. I'm even guilty of this, except I did it with the kick starter on my CB550. Parked the bike, ran in to grab lunch, forgot it was still in gear. Keyed on, kicked it over, and the bike lunged forward. Luckily it didn't weigh that much and I was just barely able to keep it from falling over, all that got hurt was my pride. I'll remember to never do that again.

Even funnier, a month later I lent my 550 out to a friend to ride, a bunch of us were out in a group. He did the exact same thing as I did after stopping for lunch, except he wasn't strong enough to hold it up and he fell over into the crash bar on my Road King.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 AM
J.L.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that when starting up that my right hand has very little to do so I use my fingers to hold the brake lever in and apply the front brake.

Letts

Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is NOT normal for the bike to move forward when starting in neutral. The ONLY time I've ever had this happen was when the clutch was not adjusted properly. And, when the clutch IS properly adjusted, mine doesn't move forward while starting in gear with the clutch engaged.

With regards to finding neutral, that's primarily a function of clutch adjustment as well. The moron that previously worked on my bike screwed up the clutch adjustment so badly that you couldn't shift into neutral with the engine running at all. After I went back and corrected the clutch adjustment, I could get it to shift into neutral with the engine running.

With regards to finding neutral and the difference between a 5-speed and 6-speed, I believe it depends on the gear set. After having a Baker 6-speed installed, shifting into neutral is effortless compared to my factory 5-speed.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Finding Neutral

Thanks Artlee, I'll try it.

Quick Reply: Bike Moves When Starting