General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Road Trip Risks if any??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by old v twin
...I have not encountered any instance, in over 42 years of running solo, that a gun was a necessity...
+1... Geez -- some guys seem to think they can't walk outside without packing. I usually go solo, but if I did travel with others I think I would have serious reservations about riding with anyone packing a concealed weapon. Probably more risk of them shooting themselves or some innocent than providing any real degree of "protection" in any foreseeable scenario!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
+1... Geez -- some guys seem to think they can't walk outside without packing. I usually go solo, but if I did travel with others I think I would have serious reservations about riding with anyone packing a concealed weapon. Probably more risk of them shooting themselves or some innocent than providing any real degree of "protection" in any foreseeable scenario!
Brother , I honestly believe half the gun freaks in here take warm showers with them . I ran the dark side of tracks for years hard and felt like a complete idiot the few times I did carry .

Didn't make my dick any bigger , voice didn't get any deeper and the chicks where never disappointed that wasn't a gun in my front pocket .

Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 AM
SportEone2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=PPBART;9203465]+1... Geez -- some guys seem to think they can't walk outside without packing. I usually go solo, but if I did travel with others I think I would have serious reservations about riding with anyone packing a concealed weapon. Probably more risk of them shooting themselves or some innocent than providing any real degree of "protection" in any foreseeable scenario![/quote

Everyone I know that conceal carries is responsible. Heck, bet you wouldn't even know they did.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

[QUOTE=SportEone2;9203833]
+1... Geez -- some guys seem to think they can't walk outside without packing. I usually go solo, but if I did travel with others I think I would have serious reservations about riding with anyone packing a concealed weapon. Probably more risk of them shooting themselves or some innocent than providing any real degree of "protection" in any foreseeable scenario![/quote

Everyone I know that conceal carries is responsible. Heck, bet you wouldn't even know they did.

Unfortunately that isn't true , ask any cop in a bad area . Nicest guy in the world still projects subtle but noticeable clues if they have a weapon on them and they find themselves in an unfamiliar or non comfortable environment . Carrying changes you , people carry guns and will give you a hundred reasons but bottom line is it bolsters confidence and take a bit of the bite away from the unknown ." I'm armed now I can deal with it " . Some have legitimate reasons for carrying 98% do it because it makes them feel better , that's the bottom line when you strip all the excuses away .

Get out on a big run with lots of mixed crowds in a confined place and the guys with a gun on them who aren't part of that normal crew stand out they really do , almost nervous looking really . Constantly scanning everybody like the boggy man is gonna jump out . Seen lots of them .

Use your head , be aware of your surroundings and little self defense training if you didn't do the military or grow up on the wrong side of the tracks and you'll do fine . A novice rider with limited experience has no business adding a weapon to what he has to deal with on the first big road trip , drama factor just isn't there people .

Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
As long as your bike is in good shape and you are of normal riding ability, then its really no different than a car trip. If you are going to camp, plot your route a bit more detailed and you'll be amazed to find the number of places that you can camp for free.

I don't understand the 1%er reference: unless you are flying unauthorized colors or worse yet, fake colors, you have virtually nothing to worry about with them on the road. If you perchance meet some on your trip, you might find that they are pretty much like most HD riders, as long as you treat them respectfully. In fact, most have less attitude than wannabes. They don't need the attitude....
exactly

Originally Posted by jakenok
Check city parks also for camping. You will find that a lot of them will let you camp for free.
Originally Posted by JonV
Never heard about that before..... Certainly not in Richmond or this part of the Country....
Not where I live either.

Originally Posted by panz4ever
All my trips are solo and on 2-lane blacktop (cuz I detest the interstate). You see so much more of what America via back roads as well.
!
I prefer the flattop, it gets me there faster and get to see twice as much of the country...just can't stop and smell the roses when your doing 80.

Many road trips, mostly solo, over many years, numerous encounters with 1%ers, never had any problems or even reason to feel concerned.
I've encountered 1%'rs on trips. At first I was scared but nothing bad ever happened, they was just like anyone else and I felt stupid for felling scared.

Sounds like someones afraid of guns.
If you do carry, don't announce it to the world, and just because a cop says hi as he passes by, don't say anything. If you have a CCW you know what you are supposed to do. If you DON"T have a CCW then DON"T carry.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the whole gun carrying thing, do what you're comfortable with. If you carry when you're in a car, why wouldn't you also carry when you ride your bike? If you aren't comfortable with a gun, don't carry.

There have been a lot of comments on here about never needing a gun when riding. That's probably true 99% of the time. And fortunately, I've never needed one to this point either. I just don't intend for that 1% of the time that I do need one to cost me my life.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Must suck living in enough fear to feel you need a gun to handle yourself on two wheels .

OP , Do your thing man and enjoy the trip , may find it's a hell of drug and you'll want lots more .

Oh somebody said afraid of guns , in the hands of well meaning " Just in Case " types I get a bit nervous can't tell which way you guys will jump when the world goes Boo at you .
Fear of the unknown I got over when I was around 9.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Must suck living in enough fear to feel you need a gun to handle yourself on two wheels .

OP , Do your thing man and enjoy the trip , may find it's a hell of drug and you'll want lots more .

Oh somebody said afraid of guns , in the hands of well meaning " Just in Case " types I get a bit nervous can't tell which way you guys will jump when the world goes Boo at you .
Fear of the unknown I got over when I was around 9.
Don't worry. None of us will bother to step in and save your *** when some moron has a gun to your head.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Don't worry. None of us will bother to step in and save your *** when some moron has a gun to your head.
Been in more hairy **** than a 2 hour cop show mixing it up with SOA and I do just fine all by myself , a few of the guns I own are souvenirs from a few of those encounters . Pull one on me better use it or I'll own it next .

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Been in more hairy **** than a 2 hour cop show mixing it up with SOA and I do just fine all by myself , a few of the guns I own are souvenirs from a few of those encounters . Pull one on me better use it or I'll own it next .
And for every one of you with that same attitude, there's ten more that are now pushing up daisies. Hope your luck continues to hold out.

Quick Reply: Solo Road Trip Risks if any??