General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Road Trip Risks if any??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Wow, imagine my surprise when my town is described as one of the scariest places in the US to be There are a number of "extended stay" hotels right around there. I imagine any place like that that houses temporary workers is going to attract those that sell vice. I can assure you though that one little area does not represent Stockbridge
I suspect a lot of towns across the country have a similar motel situation that the local residents aren't even aware of. That area on 138 looks like the oldest commercial district in Stockbridge. They probably could't get away with it in the newer shopping areas along I-75. Wonder if local law enforcement is aware of it. Even though I'd rate Atlanta area drivers high in driving skill and road manners, I wouldn't join you in a ride that included the interstates or cruising through commercial areas like Jonesboro Rd just off I-75. Stay safe.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
... to make a blanket statement like people carry because they're scared and not carrying makes you a better rider because you're more aware of your surroundings is both ignorant and irresponsible.

You make some great posts on the forum Twiz. And, if you look back, you'll see that I've given you kudos for some of your comments. But, IMHO this time your comments were unfounded.
There's two extremes to this argument, and I tend to lean toward's Twiz's side, but instead of, "better rider" I'd say, a "safer person" - a little fear is often better than too much confidence. Maybe Twiz would agree with that. Most people I've talked to that carry guns, even when they can demonstrate what a good shot they are, just don't have the correct kind of confidence; a gun isn't a science fiction force field, don't use it correctly, and it just might be end game. Other than some folks fighting for a different system of government, I've only had one face to face with a gun; the guy forgot to chamber a round before he threatened me, and was really upset when he noticed he'd pissed his pants while he was unconscious. Too much beer will do that for you.
I think carrying is a little like wearing a helmet; I have my opinions about both, but don't have a big problem with other folks doing different; it's their life. I just think having the gun on a bike trip is more likely to cause legal problems than to help anybody. I put my faith into using my senses to stay out of trouble on trips, and that's worked just fine for nearly 40 years. The riding exception - off road. When I used to ride hours cross country on no roads, I carried, not for riding, but for the walk home if the bike didn't make it, and I never carried one of those piddly little 9mm's, either. Might work fine on people, but not some of the critters that I've seen on my nature rides, which, by the way, I'd recommend to anybody that can handle two wheels.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I have already admitted in this thread that I throw the gun in the car when I am travelling with family. But, I never carry when on a bike.

For those that do: What kind of situation would you draw it. What about a real situation.

In a bar, someone bumps someone, leads to a confrontation. You get your nose broken when he hits you? Do you draw it? You get knocked to the ground and kicked? Do you draw it? You jump up and get hit again and a ring cuts you. Do you draw it then?

At what point do you draw the gun you are carrying for a scary situation? Will you take your azz beating in an old time bar fight and leave the gun in your pocket? Or does getting your azz seriously kicked push you to the point of fear you draw your weapon? Or, as long as they don't have a weapon, you leave yours alone?

I took the azz beating, went to the hospital the next day to get my head stitched up and went on with life.

You are more likely find yourself in a situation like this, than many of the far fetched others that have been discussed.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I have already admitted in this thread that I throw the gun in the car when I am travelling with family. But, I never carry when on a bike.

For those that do: What kind of situation would you draw it. What about a real situation.

In a bar, someone bumps someone, leads to a confrontation. You get your nose broken when he hits you? Do you draw it? You get knocked to the ground and kicked? Do you draw it? You jump up and get hit again and a ring cuts you. Do you draw it then?

At what point do you draw the gun you are carrying for a scary situation? Will you take your azz beating in an old time bar fight and leave the gun in your pocket? Or does getting your azz seriously kicked push you to the point of fear you draw your weapon? Or, as long as they don't have a weapon, you leave yours alone?

I took the azz beating, went to the hospital the next day to get my head stitched up and went on with life.

You are more likely find yourself in a situation like this, than many of the far fetched others that have been discussed.
That would be kinda pussified to pull a gun over a good, old fashioned dust up. A gun should only be used to defend yourself from deadly force like a kinife or another gun. You handled yourself like a man. I've been there before myself. You can't win them all.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
pstmstr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well....my first solo trip, totaled my bike 1600 miles from home, but no injuries. Nice cop got me a wrecker, a ride to a hotel, and a harley dealer gave me a ride to the airport the next day. Could have been a lot worse...been on 3 long solo trips since then with no issues. Go for it and have fun. I'm going at least 2 or 3 more times this year.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE
That would be kinda pussified to pull a gun over a good, old fashioned dust up. A gun should only be used to defend yourself from deadly force like a kinife or another gun. You handled yourself like a man. I've been there before myself. You can't win them all.
I have a bro-in-law, has a carry permit. Made sure everyone knew it and thought he was so cool wearing it at family gatherings. When asked why he wears it in such situations he would say something like you never know when you'll need it. On night as he was driving home after a family gathering he stopped for gas and some punk came up on him, pulled out his own heat and stole his wallet and van..

I have no problem with folks carrying. I just think the only reason some, like him, do is to look cool. He didn't use it the one time he was justified to.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Wow, imagine my surprise when my town is described as one of the scariest places in the US to be There are a number of "extended stay" hotels right around there. I imagine any place like that that houses temporary workers is going to attract those that sell vice. I can assure you though that one little area does not represent Stockbridge
Maybe Stockbridge had some better areas than what I saw. I'm only judging from spending a week there driving trucks all over the area, stopping at different places to eat, take breaks, buying stuff at different stores...etc. We weren't "Temporary" workers, we were all there for new employee orientation. Speaking of temporary. I'm glad my stay there was just THAT, "Temporary"!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, Ive lived in this area for some 23 years now, neither I or any of my family ever felt we needed to worry about anything. And you were temporary (I call 3 weeks temporary) Usually its construction workers. Just noticed your from Jersey.........WOW now thats funny.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Just noticed your from Jersey.........WOW now thats funny.

Why is that funny??

Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Pot calling the kettle black

Quick Reply: Solo Road Trip Risks if any??