Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brass Knuckles (STEEL)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You'd need a high end mig , SS wire and the right shielding gas and it will give you an ugly weld anyway . SS needs TIG to done right and one of the cheap inverter DC only units can do it nicely .
Sry, I disagree. A high end mig would be nice but not required and you can use reg steel wire but SS wire would be preferred. TIG is always nicer on SS but slower travel speeds.

Originally Posted by soft 02
+1. If you go TIG try to find at least a 2% thorinated rod or pure tungston and pure argon gas. Prep is 90% of the work. Gotta keep the work clean. Welding is the easy part.
I agree on the 2% and 100% Argon but always thought pure tungsten was for tigging alum. The new TIG machine I use now is able to do SS or Alum with 2%. Pure is no longer needed. " Prep (and fit up) is 90% of the work" is what many welders don't understand. It is critical for doing it right.

Welding like metals is always preferred but if no choice, you can mix depending on the metals.

Do I know all about welding... I wish. Just like most things, there are many opinions on how to do things. For me, I have been doing it for a living for over 25 years. I do custom fab and welding, commercial, industrial and a little residential..... and still learning.

Good luck and I am sure they will turn out great!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

You'd need a high end mig , SS wire and the right shielding gas and it will give you an ugly weld anyway . SS needs TIG to done right and one of the cheap inverter DC only units can do it nicely .
Sry, I disagree. A high end mig would be nice but not required and you can use reg steel wire but SS wire would be preferred. TIG is always nicer on SS but slower travel speeds.

Originally Posted by soft 02
+1. If you go TIG try to find at least a 2% thorinated rod or pure tungston and pure argon gas. Prep is 90% of the work. Gotta keep the work clean. Welding is the easy part.
I agree on the 2% and 100% Argon but always thought pure tungsten was for tigging alum. The new TIG machine I use now is able to do SS or Alum with 2%. Pure is no longer needed. " Prep (and fit up) is 90% of the work" is what many welders don't understand. It is essential for doing it right.

Welding like metals is always preferred but if no choice, you can mix depending on the metals.

Do I know all about welding... I wish. Just like most things, there are many opinions on how to do things. For me, I have been doing it for a living for over 25 years. I do custom fab and welding, commercial, industrial and a little residential..... and still learning.

Good luck and I am sure they will turn out great!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by asg13
I am in need of some brass knuckles in order to fabricate some highway pegs and passanger pegs. I have searhed for hours trying to locate some made of steel..(Not SS) or at least a definitive answer. I was wondering if the CHROME PLATED are steet or some sort of cast metal...

Anyone know where i can get some? Not intrested in the ready to install deals for 150$

They must be steel in order to weld them up to the mounts I will be making...

Thanks
Shoot me a PM, we can fix you up with some unfinished steel knuckles (with no tab for the mount) at a good price.

As far as finding some steel knuckles out there...back a few years ago we ordered a bunch from different vendors that advertised what they were selling was steel....we could not find any, everything we got was pot metal.

We cut our own now.

btw, we have not had any problem with LE on the knuckle foot pegs anywhere except Australia, and we have shipped all over the States and the world.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Shoot me a PM, we can fix you up with some unfinished steel knuckles (with no tab for the mount) at a good price.

As far as finding some steel knuckles out there...back a few years ago we ordered a bunch from different vendors that advertised what they were selling was steel....we could not find any, everything we got was pot metal.

We cut our own now.

btw, we have not had any problem with LE on the knuckle foot pegs anywhere except Australia, and we have shipped all over the States and the world.
thanks...PM sent

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,980 Likes on 17,896 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Share the secret then please , every weld I've ever seen attempted on SS with a general mig and regular wire looked like hammered fuc with lots of splatter and cracking . I'm always open for an education on a better way .

Old 12-29-2011, 05:26 PM
kanelakos
Road Master

Share the secret then please , every weld I've ever seen attempted on SS with a general mig and regular wire looked like hammered fuc with lots of splatter and cracking . I'm always open for an education on a better way .
I just had surgery yesterday but when I get back to work, I will do a mock up and post pics.

If you are welding SS to SS then no, I would not use reg steel mig wire. I would tig or mig with ss with a tri-mix gas. But if you must weld reg steel to SS, it will work. Standard MIG gas for steel is 75% argon, 25% co2. Run the gas around 30+ cubic ft / hour. I generally go a little hot and pulse weld with the trigger concentrating the heat on the steel and then bleed it over to the stainless. If welding two different gauges, then the heat is concentrated on the thicker and bled over to the thinner. Method/heat/duration of pulses/ arc pattern all depend on gauges and direction of travel.

You will get a lot of splatter if welding galvanized steel. I cant think of a reason you would get cracking of the weld. The only time I would get a weld cracking if it cools too fast like when you try to weld very thick aluminum without preheating it. If the weld cools too fast, thats when I see cracking.

Too many variables to list here. Hope I helped.

Last edited by kanelakos; 12-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

We cut our own now.

Problem Solved..DK Customs is hooking me up!!!