General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighthouse H-D of Long Island closes doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
tmd442
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
I know the economic situation is bad for everyone but the people who said that bad service will kill a dealership are right. Bergn County HD has treated me the same way every time I go in whether I'm buying a new bike or drinking their free coffee. Like a welcome guest. When you treat people well you'll likely find you get a larger share of this shrinking market. Things can be purchased almost anywhere. Your experience and your impression of the process is way more important than the item itself. You don't go to a restaurant to buy food, you go for the experience.
I respect my dealer too. People think that they're doing themselves a favor by ording on line and saving 10% then they're surprised that the dealer goes under.
Those of you in the areas of Lighthouse and New-Roc should consider the ride to Bergen. Never heard a complaint from anyone. They know how to treat the people who keep them in business.

I live right up the street from Lighthouse and purchased my bike from Bergen County HD.
Bergen had the bike I was looking for at the time and Lighthouse did not.
Took my bike to Lighthouse twice for service, The first time I was ripped off so I figured I would give them another try my mistake. I never used them again.
When my bike needs any type of service I take it to Rosa's Cycleshop in Huntington and have never been disappointed in them.
I have nothing but good things to say about Bergen County HD just wish they were closer and Rosa's is the best.
I'm not surprised at all that Lighthouse is gone!

Last edited by tmd442; 12-28-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003chromefatboy
I puchased my 03 Fatboy from Lighthouse, December of 02. Very good experience, very friendly. After the 1000 mile service, the "friendlyness" was gone. I now go to Riverhead. As stated above, good service will = survival in tough times. Just my opinion. Chris

I know it's a ways away but my uncle used to run the Montauk Point Lighthouse!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer

Originally Posted by tmd442
I live right up the street from Lighthouse and purchased my bike from Bergen County HD.
Took my bike to Lighthouse twice for service, The first time I was ripped off so I figured I would give them another try my mistake. I never used them again.
When my bike needs any type of service I take it to Rosa's Cycleshop in Huntington and have never been disappointed in them.
I have nothing but good things to say about Bergen County HD just wish they were closer and Rosa's is the best.

Wow, I just thought of this TMD442 based on your comment.

Maybe, just maybe, Harley has corporate spies reading this website and seriously look at what we the buying public have to say and act when they need to....

Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member

Can't say I'm shocked at Lighthouse folding up. Only because last time I was there , the parts dept was a down to nothing. Where it used to have better stock that any other local dealer.
Surprised Oakdale HD. has not gone down the drain. When Fritz [ the tech.] past on the service Dept. took a **** big time After Mr. Baron past the rest when to hell. New faces in parts. Got the wrong part more than once.
Does make you wonder what HD corporate is up to.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Stash905
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tmd442

+1 on Rosa's. Real professional shop. Just don't ask him to do stupid stuff like adding led lighting to your bike or he will likely throw you out LOL

Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just thinking about the timing of the closing being right after Christmas. I wonder how many people purchased gift cards? They're usually only good at the dealer where they were purchased, so those who received them may end up getting stiffed. If that's the case, that's a pretty lame thing for them to have done.

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 12-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
RRose13886
Cruiser

Lighthouse was open today for a few hours clearing out the last of everything. I had to work but my fantastic wife went to use my gift card for me. Said it was a real bizarre experience and they were selling everything down to the fixtures.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Willy723
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lighthouse closed the day after christmas, they were selling gift cards on christmas eve....many people got screwed including their employees who had no idea it was closing. There was supposed to be a settlement with HDCorp and one or two other dealerships to accept the GCs but this still has not happened almost 4 months later, there is also an open filing at the District Attorneys office for purchasers of GCs and other dealer specific service that had not been fulfilled.

Last edited by Willy723; 04-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NewRoc is long gone. Re-open with a new owner and new name. Empire HD. And yes....I got screwed on the gift card.