General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congress Actually Ends Taxpayer Funding Of Ethanol Subsidies

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
........ there's gonna be a lot'a pissed off corn farmers out there who expanded production to supply the mkt, only to have the regulatory rug pulled out from under them after they've fully committed.
....... when gov't intervenes to manipulate a market, insiders profit while somebody else always gets burnt.
This seems logical. It's a shame too.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

........ there's gonna be a lot'a pissed off corn farmers out there who expanded production to supply the mkt, only to have the regulatory rug pulled out from under them after they've fully committed.
....... when gov't intervenes to manipulate a market, insiders profit while somebody else always gets burnt.
Maybe so, but they benefited and they should know and prepare for the eventuality that at some point sanity might prevail. Plus its only the govt subsidies going away, the market is still being made by govt fiat, so that doesn't change.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
pdfiddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biodiesel is crap too.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It has little impact on the amount of corn grown only the price. The alcohol use takes grain away from the food use of corn and increased the price of corn which lead to major problems in the foreign markets.

Corn production only varies by weather conditions. The mix can be altered some by other grain production but again the corn producing states don't vary all that much. Which state produces the most is between Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio . Whoever has the best weather in a given year usually wins.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i liked running biodiesel in my semi, even though a tank rarely lasted more then 2 days, so i dont know the effects of it sitting for a few weeks. ethanol on the other hand is the worst thing to ever be put into an engine..they figured out that moonshine was bad for an engine a long long time ago, why do they think it is any better now. it goes bad fast, rusts the engine out from the inside, ruins everything plastic or rubber in the fuel system.

i really think there is a conspiracy to get any vehicle over 5 years old off the roads. it forces us to buy a new vehicle when the old one is beyond repair. that means huge taxes paid and job security for big industry. they already got rid of thousands of good used cars and salvage parts in the cash for clunkers scam..

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe so, but I hope it's just the start of Govt getting out of free markets everywhere. The agribusiness lobby finally lost one.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
i liked running biodiesel in my semi, even though a tank rarely lasted more then 2 days, so i dont know the effects of it sitting for a few weeks. ethanol on the other hand is the worst thing to ever be put into an engine..they figured out that moonshine was bad for an engine a long long time ago, why do they think it is any better now. it goes bad fast, rusts the engine out from the inside, ruins everything plastic or rubber in the fuel system.

i really think there is a conspiracy to get any vehicle over 5 years old off the roads. it forces us to buy a new vehicle when the old one is beyond repair. that means huge taxes paid and job security for big industry. they already got rid of thousands of good used cars and salvage parts in the cash for clunkers scam..
I think you may be right. A buddy of mine who owns a small moving company said that California is working on a ban on all diesel trucks older than 2007. They won't be allowed to run in the state. I had not heard this from anywhere else, but considering how kooky kalifornia is, it would not suprise me.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

reminds me of when jimmy carter/the goverment was telling farmers they should plant "fence row to fence row"---plant anywhere possible.Everything was great.....or was gonna be.Farmers sold themselves to the devil and got new tractors and equiptment and next thing you know we put an embargo on the russians because of afghanistan(the shthole we are in now). Grain prices dropped.People lost alot of things.Should have known better? Yeah they should have known better than to trust ANYTHING the goverment says.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It has little impact on the amount of corn grown only the price. The alcohol use takes grain away from the food use of corn and increased the price of corn which lead to major problems in the foreign markets.

Corn production only varies by weather conditions. The mix can be altered some by other grain production but again the corn producing states don't vary all that much. Which state produces the most is between Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio . Whoever has the best weather in a given year usually wins.
Indiana and Ohio don't even sniff the production numbers of IA and IL. Indiana produces less than half the corn of either IA or IL while OH production is usually around 60% of IN numbers.

Besides IA and IL, Minnesota and Nebraska are the other major players in corn production. Those 4 states account for nearly 60% of total U.S. production.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,015 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Would not hold out a lot of hope for that ending in the densely populate areas. Got me if it helps but after using it for years I cannot see any real problems it causes that would not occur with the other additives to gasoline. Weed-eaters, oil mixed engines and stored motors had the same problem years ago with even regular leaded gas. Remember when all the ruckus started when unleaded came out. Drove a 69 restored Firebird 150K on it and the valves looked fine.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Congress Actually Ends Taxpayer Funding Of Ethanol Subsidies