General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not too bright

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not too bright

Almost a close call with a rider today (broad day light) in my cage. 30mph (no stop signs) in a long gradual right-hand bend, behind a car which partially blocked my view ahead but as I was about to make a left turn, all of a sudden there's a bike (older style Police type HD) coming the opposite direction. It wasn't immediately noticeable at first & I hadn't started to turn left yet but I was already applying brake and had my signal on. It really startled me how close I was to proceeding before I saw him. Well no harm no fowl, he went on by but I quickly got down on myself. At first I was like, damn why did I almost turn on this guy?! Then I realized - NO HEAD LIGHT! Then I realized and on top of that he had a kid (about 2 or 3 yrs old) sitting in his lap!
3 things about this;
1.) I know headlight on all the time wasn't mandated by DOT until '78 but this guy should have it on anyway even if his bike was pre-'78,
2.) Wow, head lights really make a difference in visibilty even in the day time,
3.) What in hell was he thinking with the little kid in his lap & riding around with no light?
I wanted to go back & talk with him about it but he was long gone by the time I could turn around. I sure hope I see him again before he takes that kid for another ride.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You can blame him all you want but you know the scary truth: you almost turned left in front of a motorcycle. Similar thing happened to me once and I still feel a cringe when I think about it and what might have been. Ride (and drive) safe.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

It's scary how easy it is to miss us. I'm sure most of us have done the same thing at one time or another.

Several days ago I was pulling out from a side street (making a left). There was a UPS truck making a left into the street I was pulling out of. He waved to me to go first. I had been watching traffic and knew there were no cars behind him but I pulled out slowly any way. All of a sudden a guy on a sport bike came flying around the blind side of the truck. If I hadn't been watching that truck I would have pulled out right in front of him! He must have seen the trucks left turn signal and was riding in the right side of the lane waiting to to pass him on the right. Scared the snot out of me, and reminded me to be careful in the future. Both in my car and on the bike.

Last edited by Deucedog; 12-27-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're absolutely right, blaming him doesn't make me feel any better about what I almost did. I guess the important thing is I didn't turn. Still feelin a bit shakey about it though.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Johansson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a rider, I would like to think that I try to be a little more aware of motorcycles when I'm in my Silverado. In reality, I know I could make a mistake like anyone else could. I'm glad for you and the rider involved here that it was a miss. Phew...

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Ya see why they're called accidents?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johansson
.... In reality, I know I could make a mistake like anyone else could. ...
That's exactly why i get pissed when some moron around here starts talking "cager this and cager that" ... it's bs
Most of us are in our "cage" more than we're on our bikes.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,163 Likes on 6,705 Posts

When a woman almost backed out of a driveway into my path (missed me), I arrived at work and discovered my low beam headlight had burned out. Rode home that afternoon with the bright on (daylight anyway), and fixed it right away.

Those older bikes, you have to turn the switch once for ignition, then again to turn on the headlight.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
I wanted to go back & talk with him about it but he was long gone by the time I could turn around.
I'm just curious as to how you think that conversation would've gone?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
...Then I realized and on top of that he had a kid (about 2 or 3 yrs old) sitting in his lap!
I'm guessing no helmet. This just made me wonder, a two year old in a car in most (all?) states is supposed to be in a car seat; does anyone know if there are age limits for motorcycle passengers? I have seen some pretty small ones on bikes, seems risky to me.

Quick Reply: Not too bright