General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POST Up Your Worst ACCIDENT ~ Don't be shy, now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Last time I fell down and went bump was in 1980. It was a good one though.

Hit a car on the hiway. I was going way too fast, had my head in my azz, looked away and looked back just in time to see the bike hit the back of the car. Both the bike and I launched over the car when I hit his bumper. I went to the hospital and the bike went to the junkyard. After I got out of the hospital I realized I had the tire track from the bike across my neck and chest. The bike must have followed me over and ran over me. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I learned a lesson.

32 years later and I haven't scratched an elbow since then. I still haven't gotten over the need for speed, just not stupid anymore. 80 miles an hour, 180 miles at a time on the slab until I get to where I am going. I am the grey headed guy on the black dyna that just passed you.

Like a lot of us who were lucky enough to grow old I learned I wasn't bullet proof and immortal.

When you are young, you vaguely understand people die.
When you mature you understand it is a very real personal possibility.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-26-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

The bike was just checkin' on ya, that's all... Mine has separation anxiety as well...

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Last time I fell down and went bump was in 1980. It was a good one though.

Hit a car on the hiway. I was going way too fast, had my head in my azz, looked away and looked back just in time to see the bike hit the back of the car. Both the bike and I launched over the car when I hit his bumper. I went to the hospital and the bike went to the junkyard. After I got out of the hospital I realized I had the tire track from the bike across my neck and chest. The bike must have followed me over and ran over me. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I learned a lesson.

32 years later and I haven't scratched an elbow since then. I still haven't gotten over the need for speed, just not stupid anymore. 80 miles an hour, 180 miles at a time on the slab until I get to where I am going. I am the grey headed guy on the black dyna that just passed you.

Like a lot of us who were lucky enough to grow old I learned I wasn't bullet proof and immortal.

When you are young, you vaguely understand people die.
When you mature you understand it is a very real personal possibility.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last fall while on my way to work. 2-lane country road at 4:30 am. That time of the year the bucks are in rutt, so I'm riding pritty much "White Knuckle" with my guard up.This is a road I've traveled hundreds of times before, so I pritty much know what to expect.

So, I'm movin' along 55-60ish, and this big doe steps out and walk across the road about 60-75 yards ahead of me and stops in the oncomeing lane, and looks back.
That only means one thing. There's more!

I begin heavy braking, and down-shifting. Bigger than **** 2 more step out, and stop in my lane broad side staggered.

I'm maybe 25-30 yards from them, closeing fast! Speed is down to maybe 30 mph. No where to go, and it looking grim, I tapped hard on the rear brake, and layed the bike down on the left side thinking putting the bike between them and I was a good thing.

I really cann't say if that worked or not, but at some point the bike high-sided, flopped over on its right side and launched me off to the pavement in front of it!

I landed on my head, and left shoulder, rolled onto my belly, feet first siding down the road. When I stopped I could still hear the bike slideing! All I could think was" Lord, please make it stop!

When it stopped, me still on my belly braced for the worst, I looked up and reached out and put my hand on the bike!

A passer-by helped me pick the bike. I started it and road home. Hand shifting because the engine guard was bent back, and I couldn't get my toe under the shifter.

I called the insurance, and a wrecker from the house then called an ambulance. I was going into shock!

Result: Bruised sholder and hip, torn rotator cuff, and 4 broke ribs, $3,400 worth of damage to the bike, and 2 weeks sleeping in an easy chair. Prayin' that I didn't have to cough of sneeze while walking anywhere in the house.

I still ride that same route. Haven't learned a darn thing except it hurts like hell to sneeze of cough with broken ribs.....

Best Wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Question

So did the doe's go trottin' off into the woods?

All I can tell you is, one may take me down one day... but the deer's goin' with me. They're cute and all, but I'm not loosin' any skin, or breakin' any of my bones to save one.

You say you didn't learn anything... interesting. Just sayin'

Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

I dread the day a deer walks out in front of me...

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
Last fall while on my way to work. 2-lane country road at 4:30 am. That time of the year the bucks are in rutt, so I'm riding pritty much "White Knuckle" with my guard up.This is a road I've traveled hundreds of times before, so I pritty much know what to expect.

So, I'm movin' along 55-60ish, and this big doe steps out and walk across the road about 60-75 yards ahead of me and stops in the oncomeing lane, and looks back.
That only means one thing. There's more!

I begin heavy braking, and down-shifting. Bigger than **** 2 more step out, and stop in my lane broad side staggered.

I'm maybe 25-30 yards from them, closeing fast! Speed is down to maybe 30 mph. No where to go, and it looking grim, I tapped hard on the rear brake, and layed the bike down on the left side thinking putting the bike between them and I was a good thing.

I really cann't say if that worked or not, but at some point the bike high-sided, flopped over on its right side and launched me off to the pavement in front of it!

I landed on my head, and left shoulder, rolled onto my belly, feet first siding down the road. When I stopped I could still hear the bike slideing! All I could think was" Lord, please make it stop!

When it stopped, me still on my belly braced for the worst, I looked up and reached out and put my hand on the bike!

A passer-by helped me pick the bike. I started it and road home. Hand shifting because the engine guard was bent back, and I couldn't get my toe under the shifter.

I called the insurance, and a wrecker from the house then called an ambulance. I was going into shock!

Result: Bruised sholder and hip, torn rotator cuff, and 4 broke ribs, $3,400 worth of damage to the bike, and 2 weeks sleeping in an easy chair. Prayin' that I didn't have to cough of sneeze while walking anywhere in the house.

I still ride that same route. Haven't learned a darn thing except it hurts like hell to sneeze of cough with broken ribs.....

Best Wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have had two that when it comes to bad I’d say were about the same. The first was in the mid 70’s a friend of mine wanted to go for a ride so we jumped on the bike and took off just running around town. After about 10 min. this car started to follow us and I mean like right on my *** and we hadn’t come across anybody up to the point this car showed up so it wasn’t like I might have accidentally cut them off or any thing. Well we cut down a couple of side streets trying to get away from them, but they kept right on us well after they bumped the back of the bike at about 35 mph. I nailed it. Would have pulled over and stopped but about a month before a buddy of mine had got jumped they cut him all to **** and we never found out who or why so I wasn’t about to stop with her on back. So after getting bumped and then getting on it I was watching the mirrors more then I should have and all of a sudden she yelled look out and as I looked up seeing we were doing something north of 60 and that the street made a hard left was the last thing I remember. Next thing I knew was I was laying flat on my back with Kathy sitting next to me and two guys I knew running up to us they had been coming down the side street and saw the whole thing happen. Turns out when we went off the street it was on to an old rail line were they pulled the track and stacked the rails on tie’s about 3 ft. high turns out we hit the stacked rails they said we were 12-15 feet in the air and the bike was another 15 or 20 above us, we landed 46 ft. from were we hit and the bike landed at 67ft. The guys that saw it said the car must have seen it coming and got on the brakes hard but they still followed us off the street and in to the stack of rails but slammed it in to reverse and got the hell out of their, guess it messed up the front of their Chevelle pretty bad though. She had a pretty bad bruise on the inside of thigh and I messed up a bunch of ribs and got my right arm cut up pretty bad. Never did find out what the whole deal was over. Sorry no pic’s of the bike but it was messed up, but I do have two pics from the other wreck with the truck.
It was about 5 yrs. after the one with the bike. Was 18th of Jan. working the foundry and was on my way home from second shift don’t remember any thing up to the wreck just waking up cold as hell pinned in the truck 15 deg that night. A friend of mine drove by in the semi about 4 that morning and spotted my truck with the front end rapped around a tree from what I was told the tree was the only thing that kept the truck from rolling down the embankment. They said it took them about an hour to hour and a half to get it opened up and get me out, about 200 stitch’s in each leg broken left wrist. When we got to emergency the doctor asked me about my left knee so I told him when I came too I could feel that pant leg was all wet and that I reached down and folded the pant leg back over to it and that as cold as it was I figured it would stop bleeding pretty quick that’s when he told me their was no pant leg their and that it tore all the hide off the top of the knee cap and that that’s what I had folded back over the cap and that it was a good thing or I’d have probably bled out.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Gonna need to explain that one... Looks like it may have left a mark.
Just one less muley deer in eastern Oregon, wasn't much left of him as you see, didn't go down but it sure bent up my Harley with 9000 miles on it. Talk about STINK!!!
Finished the ride and $8500.00 fixed her back up again. No injuries to us, ya we were 2 up. kinda bruised up my left leg.

Mark

Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beav
So did the doe's go trottin' off into the woods?

All I can tell you is, one may take me down one day... but the deer's goin' with me. They're cute and all, but I'm not loosin' any skin, or breakin' any of my bones to save one.

You say you didn't learn anything... interesting. Just sayin'
Yup...they left me there. Really wasn't tryin' to miss them. I just figured that lettin' the bike hit 'em first wouldn't hurt as much.

Last edited by Harley Tim; 12-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

I asked because I saw the blood... Looks as if you lost a foot.

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Just one less muley deer in eastern Oregon, wasn't much left of him as you see, didn't go down but it sure bent up my Harley with 9000 miles on it. Talk about STINK!!!
Finished the ride and $8500.00 fixed her back up again. No injuries to us, ya we were 2 up. kinda bruised up my left leg.

Mark

Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no, that was the innards of the deer, i had already kicked the liver and a lung off, LOL.
Mark

Quick Reply: POST Up Your Worst ACCIDENT ~ Don't be shy, now!