General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag or hd cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Back in 09, in 3 issues of American Iron,(Aug, Sept, Oct, I believe) Donny Peterson did a series on oil coolers. He chose the Jagg over the H-D because the Jagg had less "pressure drop". I'll try to explain. The oil has to go thru the cooler "slow" enough for the fins to disipate the heat, yet "quickly" enough to get back into the motor. The Jagg did the better job of the two. I'm planning on putting the 10 row Jagg on my down tubes before next summer.
I am about half-way through Donny's book and just read the chapter on oil coolers. (A good book, by the way, but Donny really needed to hire an editor to go through it. He repeats himself over and over again, and there other problems.) The Jagg may be a better cooler technically, but will the H-D work just fine? For me, the main consideration is trying to fit the thing on the lower front engine mount along with a True-Track bracket on my Dyna. For that application, the smaller H-D cooler will probably work out better.

You have to be careful with Donny's opinions - once he latches onto something, he won't let go of it, and he will repeat himself over and over again. His book could be 10 pages shorter just by removing his love affair with Bob Wood and his ceaseless repetition of his name.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
hellbob37
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the thing. These both mount on the frame downtube. On the left side which is why I'm going this route so once I have some miles on the bike I can put the true track on without any issues. It looks like with the oil filter adapter and the actual cooler it will run about 350-360 for the jagg from jp cycles.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Originally Posted by hellbob37
Thats the thing. These both mount on the frame downtube. On the left side which is why I'm going this route so once I have some miles on the bike I can put the true track on without any issues. It looks like with the oil filter adapter and the actual cooler it will run about 350-360 for the jagg from jp cycles.
I prefer the low horizontal engine mount location over the vertical down tube location for aesthetic reasons.

The H-D kit (26151-07) is $240 at Surdyke or Lakeshore H-D. The jagg kit is $380 at jagg.com. So, price is another (big) consideration.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about fit with other accessories, like the True Track you mention, but personally I would prefer the thermostat over the bypass valve as it works automatically where the bypass valve would require your remembering to open and close it.

I know some say (including Jagg as far as I can remember) suggest you do not need a thermostat, but to me it's a good idea.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I'm not sure about fit with other accessories, like the True Track you mention, but personally I would prefer the thermostat over the bypass valve as it works automatically where the bypass valve would require your remembering to open and close it.

I know some say (including Jagg as far as I can remember) suggest you do not need a thermostat, but to me it's a good idea.
According to the description on the H-D kit, the adaptor that comes with it features a thermostat.

According to jagg.com, they have a thermostat adaptor, too. (For an additional $40.)

Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

This is my question, if you are putting on an oil cooler on the down tubes to get it in un obstructed air flow, then why put on the HD cooler when there are part of the fins ( tho minimal are obstructed ) when the the JAGG is in the wind? No bias in this post, I have a JAGG on both bikes.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:29 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,756 Likes on 526 Posts

I had the HD Softail oil cooler on my 08 FXSTC and it was just enough of a cooler to make me want one. It mounted between the down tubes in front of the cylinder and probably hurt more than it helped by obstructing air flow over the cylinder. I went with the Jag 10 row that mounts off to the side and couldn't be happier with it.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
hellbob37
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lOok at the links I posted. The 2nd or 3rd one is an oil filter adapter sold by jagg that contains a t stat. That's what I would run with the cooler (linked also) allows it to warm up and kicks in at 185. Plus it gets great airflow. Now the only other issue is I have to figure out how to mount my highway bars.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I have the HD Oil Cooler on my Heritage. It definitely has a Thermostat. It's in the Adapter that goes between the Oil Filter and the Engine. As for cooling, it does the job and keeps Oil Temperatures under 220-230 even on 110*F+ desert days. Would the Jag do better? Perhaps, It's larger so it figures that it should; but the HD version seems to be doing OK. Granted my engine isn't all maxed out, but then again it isn't exactly stock either. As for blocking Air flow . . . gezz guys, c'mon . . . . what's that thing sitting out in front of Cylinder #2? . . . Oh, yea, I almost forgot . . . I think that'd be Cylinder #1 . . . I'm guessing that an Oil Cooler in front of Cylinder #1 doesn't count for much of an air flow restriction in the scheme of things . . . given what Cylinder #2 is dealing with . . . and yea, I know about Cylinder #2 deactivation when it gets too hot.

Quick Reply: Jag or hd cooler?