General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about the new 103 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011 | 03:48 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by traveler
maybe I had them backwards.....either way, it's a mild CR.
I had a question... wouldn't you have to have some head work done on a 96ci after adding 103ci jugs and pistons? It would seem to me that if you didn't, then the CC would no longer be shaped to match the piston. If you did alter the head, wouldn't this account for the change in CR? Wouldn't you have to change the stroke to keep the same CR? Regardless... given the problems that the twinky has with heat and pinging, lowering the CR is probably a smart thing, even if it does take a little away from the HP gain. I would think that if the 103 needed anything, it would be a new cam more than anything else to get back some of that low-end grunt.

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:16 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I am not certain, but since the cams and everything are the same, I believe that the heads on the 103 are the same, but have the compression releases added. This...was an issue that the MOCO addressed back in about 2007 on Police bikes because they had the 103 engine. Starting problems more than likely caused the MOCO to add them.

If the heads are off already....it is really a good idea to have the heads machined for manual compression releases. They work easy, and are well worth it.

HONESTLY...if I had a 96, I would get the manual compression releases. My bike came with the auto ones as I splurged and got the 103 power pak when it was an option in 2011....but if I had gotten a 96...I would have popped the heads off....and while getting ported, would have the heads machined and then added some Manual Compression Releases "MCR's".

In short, if the heads are off....PLEASE do it. if the heads are still on...leave it be.

~Joe

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:21 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
The two things (displacement and stage 1) don't have anything to do with each other. Nor does this have anything to do with the concept of "need".

The better questions would be:

Will the new 103ci engine benefit from a stage 1? Answer: Yes.

The implied question... Does a 96ci engine "need" a stage 1? Answer: No.
I know where your going with this...but if a guy can afford it....then it should be done.

Easier on the engine, more power for the rider.

These engines need more air.....the way they come form the factory....it's like running down the street trying to breathe through a straw.

~Joe

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:33 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I did the Stage 1 on my 103 (V&H exhaust and intake and PV tuner) and I am glad I did. Throttle response is much better, the exhaust obviously sounds better and the motor runs cooler with the new map from my PV. Cams are next for me.

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:38 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RedNose44
I did the Stage 1 on my 103 (V&H exhaust and intake and PV tuner) and I am glad I did. Throttle response is much better, the exhaust obviously sounds better and the motor runs cooler with the new map from my PV. Cams are next for me.
Your avatar...boy...I like that patch! I earned mine in Desert Storm.

Old 12-27-2011 | 09:08 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

great thread....It was an education! great reference material. Thanks to all.

Old 12-27-2011 | 10:08 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by traveler
Your avatar...boy...I like that patch! I earned mine in Desert Storm.
Same here, 1/7 Cav "Outlaws". Might have ran into each other over there, Small world.

Old 12-27-2011 | 10:29 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Same here, 1/7 Cav "Outlaws". Might have ran into each other over there, Small world.
1-67 Armor, 2AD, assigned to 1 CAV.

Kind of a one off, in that we earned both the 2AD and 1CAV combat patches. When 2AD was disbanded, we were rolled into 1CAV.

After I got out, I guess 2AD was re-activated.

I was a Spec4 on M1 Arams tanks at that time.

The Army flat sucked until I became an NCO years later.

~Joe

Old 01-12-2012 | 04:46 PM
HunterArms
Stage III
Default Lots of good info on Stage 1 and lean vs. rich

This was a very good thread.

Old 01-12-2012 | 05:28 PM
Blackfly
Road Master

You mean that's not just your everyday Viking dog ? ? Now can someone tell an ignorant person what stage two and three is ? Thanks for your service.

Quick Reply: question about the new 103 engine