General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheel....need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New wheel....need help

Okay, i bought a new 21 inch wheel for my Street Glide. Love the wheel...only problem is I can't figure out which way the rotation should be. There is nothing stamped on the wheel that indicates the rotation should be a certain way. I put a call in to the company (Rampage) but so far have heard anything back from them. If you look at the pic it has the curved spokes. Obviously, it will have a different look depending on which way you mount the wheel. If Rampage says you can mount it either way then what. I've looked at different bikes on-line with similar curved spokes and most of them have the spokes leaning back. In other words, if you look at the pic the front of the bike would be to the left. Thoughts?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,811 Likes on 3,167 Posts

Air stem is on the right ...always. There ya' go.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Air stem is on the right ...always. There ya' go.
Never thought of that. That means the front should be to the right...as in the pic.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did it come with a mounted tire? My Hogpro wheel did. I know that mine had to go on one way, and one way only. However since the tire was already mounted with the arrow, it was easy to figure out. If I had to guess by the picture you posted I would say that the direction of forward flow would be counter clockwise.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Okay, i just went and looked at my actual wheel. The pic i posted was from the website. It shows the air stem on the opposite side. Now i'm really confused. In other words, if i mount the air stem on the right side of the bike then {looking at the pic} the leading edge [front] would be on the left side.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I would think the side with the rotor mounting holes would tell you the rotation direction seeing how those have to match to the caliper leg on the front end , most wheels are single disk anymore aren't they ?

Ain't that complicated ...............

Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

The valve stem hole on my Harley 80 spoke wheel is on the left side. According to the instructions that is the way it is supposed to be.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I would think the side with the rotor mounting holes would tell you the rotation direction seeing how those have to match to the caliper leg on the front end , most wheels are single disk anymore aren't they ?

Ain't that complicated ...............
Just what I was thinking,also on most stock HD wheels the valve stem is always on the right,probably most aftermarket wheel will stay true to form !

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My aftermarket wheel valve stem is in the middle and if his 09 is like mine, it has 2 disks. Again it has to go one way and one way only. If not it will rub the caliper on the disk.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

On directional wheels, it should spin in the direction of the wheel design. So that being said, with the wheel in the picture, you would be looking at the left side of the wheel, and the bike would be to the right of the wheel.

Many aftermarket wheels (for touring bikes), rotors can be mounted on both/either sides of the hub. If you opt for one brake rotor, then a cap is applied to the side of the hub that the rotor is deleted from.

Quick Reply: New wheel....need help