General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gloves or heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 PM
frapcc25
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heated grips and agree they are good when its a certain temp outside and short commute. Im not sure if its something wrong with mine or not, but after about 30 mins or so they shut off. I am going to buy a pair of heated gloves, so I can use either or. Does anyone have a heated vest and heated gloves? Do they just plug into each other?

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frapcc25
Does anyone have a heated vest and heated gloves? Do they just plug into each other?
Yes, the jackets come wired with pigtails at the sleeves, as well as a pigtail near the waistband / main hook-up for pants if you ever go that way.

IMHO, if you buy even just the gloves buy a dual control thermostat, as chances are you'll eventually end up with a jacket. Gloves always seem to need more juice than the jacket so having the ability to run different settings on the gloves / jacket is almost essential to getting the most out of the gear.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,797 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by JCTulsa
Gerbing heated gloves are 100% the way to go.

+1 Anything Gerbing is good!!!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:03 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Well I am going to go against the concesus of this thread and say heated grips. The reason is that they are always there. You can not forget to bring them or not have room to pack them. When you are 100 miles from home and all of a sudden the temp drops and you are not dressed for it. The grips are there and will keep you from freezing up. Gloves may provide better heat, but most of you will not have them with when you need them. You will spend more time wishing you had them than enjoying the heat they provide. I have had heated grips on my last 3 bikes and I would not be without them.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm in agreement with NDBadlands. I have an old set of heated gloves somewhere, I haven't used them in years. Too much hassle with the wiring and controller. *If* I knew I were going to be on an extended ride on a bike w/o hand protectors or fairing, and it was in the low 40's or less, I would get the gloves out. Otherwise the heated grips are perfect for me. I have them on a lot, even use them on low when riding in 60-70 degree weather.

.....For those riders who tend not to ride in particularly cold weather, heated grips with hand guards would be the preferred choice. When temperatures do drop first thing in the morning or at night especially on long rides, the addition of heated gloves will become a requirement.
Only using heated gloves will not provide a complete alternative. Look at the back of your hands and you’ll see your veins. Your arteries are on your palm side. This simply means heat your palms and you’ll warm up, heat the backs only and you will stay cold.
However, as it gets colder it becomes obvious that the heated bike grips only heat your palms. In those conditions the heated gloves, which have no heating elements on the palm side heat the back side really well proving to be an effective combination.
It is true that many bikers have a love / hate relationship with heated gloves because of the bulk, they certainly won’t last as long as heated motorcycle grips, horrible to wear when they are wet even if they are warm, and with the benefit of heated grips, bikers can then choose what gloves they prefer to wear.

http://www.heatedgrips.org/debate-of...heated-gloves/

Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Qdraw
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Well I am going to go against the concesus of this thread and say heated grips. The reason is that they are always there. You can not forget to bring them or not have room to pack them. When you are 100 miles from home and all of a sudden the temp drops and you are not dressed for it. The grips are there and will keep you from freezing up. Gloves may provide better heat, but most of you will not have them with when you need them. You will spend more time wishing you had them than enjoying the heat they provide. I have had heated grips on my last 3 bikes and I would not be without them.
Believe me,this time of the year here in the Pacific Northwest you are not going to forget them... because you are not even getting on your bike without gloves on. If its warm enough to go with out, you aren't going to miss 'em.