General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gloves or heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'll also chime in here as I have both Heated Gloves, Heated jacket Liner and Heated Grips. The Gloves and Jacket Liner are Gerbing and I used Polyheaters ($30) for the Grips. All have been excellent products. Like others have said, Grips work very well (for me) down to about 45*F. When I use the Heated Grips I have found that it actually helps to wear uninsulated leather gloves because the heat transfer works better with thin gloves. However, below about 45*F, while I can keep the palms of my hands warm (death grip not required) the backs of my hands will be uncomfortably cold. At that point and colder, Heated Gloves work wonders. They are certainly less convenient, but particularly in conjunction with the Heated Jacket Liner and using a Controller, Ice on the road is really the only reason not to ride. BTW 36*F this morning here in LA, so don't need to hear any BS about how warm and sunny it is here all the time.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The optimum set-up is both, but if it's one or the other go with the gloves... as nearly everyone has suggested.

I had heated grips on my R1150RT, but don't have them on the FXDWG or my R1100S and they were nice to have for those mid-range temps when you really didn't need gloves or on the really cold days when you just want heat as fast as you can get it.

There's also another reason that having both is nice, and that's because Gerbings changed the way they wire the heating elements in their gloves. I'm not sure why they assumed this, but the put all of the heating elements on the backside of their newest glove models and went with a thin palm... almost on the assumption that folks who wear heated gear must also have heated grips. Now, to be fair, the new microwire gloves heat up much faster than the older technology gloves and give off more heat at full juice. Those two things will eventually get your whole hand warm in the 30's within about 10 minutes or so. But, with heated grips it's all toasty from the git-go. Moreover, on the really cold days when the temps are in the single digits and low teens, I still find that the underside of my fingers and palms would benefit from a heated grip.

Note: My point of comparison is my 12-year old pair of Gerbing gloves which have the heating elements all around the hand. Sadly, they stretched so much that they became nearly ineffective without a thick glove liner... and that created a whole bunch of other issues, hence the move to the T5 Mircowire gloves.

So, if you do buy gloves, keep in mind that they have to fit snugly to work. Buy a little small and snug because they'll stretch a bit with use. Frankly, if I was back in the market for heated gloves I might even look at the 12v glove liners instead of the heated glove, just because it would allow me to pick and choose from a wide range of outer glove shells vs. being locked into what the heated glove makers are offering. Could end up being a bit bulky too... again, haven't tried it but might be worth checking out in you're starting from scratch.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Had heated grips on snowmobiles years ago - worked good, but if they had heated gear back when I still rode sleds - would've been AWESOME! Get the gear!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear_4112
Sounds like the consensus is that the gloves are the way to go. Do they have a battery pack that they can use or do you always have to wire them up to the bike? If they do have a battery pack I dont know if it will be worth it, its a 30 min trek on the highway every morning to get to base so I will be recharging them all the time probably. I have heard of gerbing and never heard anything bad about them, i know first gear also makes some but havent heard as much about them.
Gerbing does make "Hybrid" heated gloves that operate with battery packs. Check out their website. Problem is, I ordered those gloves from an internet retailer for short local winter runs, not wanting to hook the gloves up to the bike battery. The gloves arrived around mid-November. The battery packs, which are a separate accessory, are still on back order. Latest ETA is sometimes in January. That is **** poor planning. Battery run times are on their website. Whenever I do get them, I will make a report. Fortunately, we are having a milder than normal winter thus far, or I'd really be pissed at the wait. At this rate, at least I know I'll have warm hands by summer time.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Gerbings factory store in in Lacey, not far from you. Go check their stuff out in person. Sometimes they have some good deals.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Bear_4112
Advanced

Yeah i have looked into getting heated grips also but for now think I am just going to go with the gloves but will probably eventually get heated grips also. I have been looking at getting a windshield also for just the winter and on those days we want to ride and its rainy. Sounds like gerbing is the way to go, I didnt know about the factory store down in Lacey but do know that eagle leather in lakewood sells them and was heading down there in a couple days anyways. Going to have to try them out and see how they fit. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I've had both. Heated grips are convenient down to about 50F but heated gloves are much more comfortable at cooler temps. If you can only have one get the heated gloves. Once you have heated gloves though you will also want a heated jacket liner. You can intermix brands without issue. The combination allows you to be comfortable in pretty much any temp down to and below freezing with wind stopping, insulated motorcycle pants. IMO chaps do not provide sufficient wind protection and insulation in cold weather. If you do get the kind of gloves that require the separate purchase of a temp controller consider a dual channel one so you can later add a heated liner without issue.

Heated gloves heat the back of the hand and fingers, the parts that get cold. Heated grips only warm the palm and don't work efficiently when it is cold enough to require insulated gloves.

http://www.bikebandit.com/motorcycle...a642295a687151
http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=heated+gloves

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-23-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM
marines267
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bear_4112
So living in Western WA and riding in the morning here is (30 degrees and raining usually) is a bit chilly. I have been debating on getting some heated gloves or heated grips but dont know what to go with. Anyone have any of these and if so what are the pros and cons for each and what brand to go with? Thanks for the help everyone.
I have had both. And here is what I think about both. The heated grips are nice but only keep the palms of your hands warm nothing else so the tops of your hands will still be getting cold which makes the rest of your hands feel cold. Now for the heated gloves I tried the ones that run off of the motorcycle power I did not like having to run the cord through the sleeve of my coat so I returned them and got the hybrid one which can run off of a battery Thay do keep my hand a lot warmer than the grips did the only problem is if you are using the battery you only have 1 hour of life on full power 2 on med. power and 4 hour on low power

Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like both and heres why.
1.Heated grips can be turned on anytime. Nice for any inclement weather you may run in to and with out you heated gloves you are left to whatever you have with you at the moment. Chilly morning on a trip, turn them on and keep riding.

2. Heated gloves are nice when you know you are riding in temps that demand to keep your hands warm.

So if you can afford both that is my vote.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Based on years of experience and trying everything, including hippo covers, the only way to go is heated gloves. I have never had warm hands until I bought a pair of heaeted gloves. I have no problem now that I can keep my hands warm. Don't waste your money on anything else.

Quick Reply: Heated gloves or heated grips?