General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gloves or heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Grips are great... they are always on the bike....... on the down side.... they warm the inside of your hands (as best they can, through whatever gloves you may wear) while doing nothing for the part of your hand exposed to the wind

Gloves are great, as they wrap your hand in heat....but then again, they tend towards "bulky" and you need to carry the gloves, and the wires (oughta carry the controller too)

From October to April, I have my spare gloves, controller and wire in my saddlebags. I'm a WUSS... Gerbings gloves, Jacket Liner, and heated over pants..... yup, I'm a wuss.... but I'm warm, and riding

Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I have both and the grips dont hold a candle to the gloves. Just dont heat the hand like the gloves do. Gerbing is what I have.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
chadbob
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the gloves.
They ARE bulky but they are warm.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have heated grips. I find that I use them quite a bit, even when it's not really cold out. Just having the heated grips alone can make a ride that would otherwise be uncomfortable suddenly seem real pleasant. You can turn the heated grips up so high that they'll practically burn your hands.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Love my gloves and jacket liner by Gerbing. I have no experience with the heated grips, but could only image what those who have used them say is true about not being enough and the back of your fingers staying cold.

Go with the Gerbing gloves. Then you can add the jacket and or pants later!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Bear_4112
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the consensus is that the gloves are the way to go. Do they have a battery pack that they can use or do you always have to wire them up to the bike? If they do have a battery pack I dont know if it will be worth it, its a 30 min trek on the highway every morning to get to base so I will be recharging them all the time probably. I have heard of gerbing and never heard anything bad about them, i know first gear also makes some but havent heard as much about them.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Best solution IMO is to have both. Lots of days are a little chilly, but don't require bulky Heated Gloves, on those days, the Grips are ideal.

For the really cold days though, you need the Gloves.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because I don't ride once the temps stay at or below 40* my heat Demons work fine for me,and because I have the bigger HD grips my fingers stay warm so I'm good,cold hands have never been a problem only my fingers and ears !

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Ranfrol
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethjamto
Love my gloves and jacket liner by Gerbing. I have no experience with the heated grips, but could only image what those who have used them say is true about not being enough and the back of your fingers staying cold.

Go with the Gerbing gloves. Then you can add the jacket and or pants later!
I agree with the gloves over grips, if you can try to get the jacket. It makes a big difference with running the wires. Also make sure you get the temp controller to change heat settings.

I have my wired to my bike, wife runs the same setup.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Just an after thought after reading this thread. If you get the gloves and controller, go ahead and get the unit set up to allow you to add a jacket liner or something else at a later date.

Quick Reply: Heated gloves or heated grips?