Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mmi orlando or phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maldito
this sounds like it might be the best route for me.the class is $28,000 i could save the money and stay in massachusetts.
If that was one of the choices, I'd rather be in Orlando at the height of the tourist season, when it's 104 degrees and there's a hurricane. Heat, tourists and hurricanes eventually pass, but Mass. is always Mass.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Maldito, ya' gotta do what makes bank as well as keeps you interested. You have quite a few working years ahead of you.

If you like riding, the roads in AZ are way better than those in FL... unless you don't like the twisties. You can ride year-round in both places, but with fewer wet days out west.
In my 3+ decades here I've never really cared for July and August, but that's when you ride in the northern part of the state.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I have visiyed both cities three times if memory serves. I like Phoenix much more. More interesting riding, nicer people, more spring baseball.

Orlando, tourists everywhere, rude service industry, boring riding environment.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone above mentioned having to wait years to get a job after getting training. That isn't something unique to this line of work. I've worked as professional software developer for about 15 years. We have people interviewing all the time and they can't find work. It's not specific to low paying jobs. This is simply an issue of not enough jobs for the number of people who need them.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i owned a shop and was looking for a new guy to clean up/ be a gopher and 10 people applied for the job and only one went to MMI, i would hire him as long as he had a good attitude. finishing a school like MMI/Wyotech shows motivation and also proves you are serious about your career. i agree the tuition is high for what you get in return but for people who are not mechanically inclined to begin with, it's probably a good choice.

i would choose arizona over florida(the sphincter of the U.S.) any day.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
ctburns
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmi not worth it

Don't waste your time or money on MMI. It's more of a scam then it is helpful. I went there for the first couple of months you like it cause it's new and your doing something you think is gonna get you somewhere.. Then reality sets in and you find out all the things they promised when you sign on is WRONG. they tell you things like your gonna get $1200 toward snap-on tools free, and that their job placement rating is 92%, and that it's the greatest learning experience.. They blow smoke. you only get like $600 toward snap-on tools, Their job placement rating is more like 2%, and your learning experience sucks once you get out of your theory class. The student to teacher ratio is horrible, there's no 1 on 1 time and if you do get it your lucky, 80% of the class is cheating off someone else, All of the harley classes online that you have to complete everyone in the class has the actual answers to and everyone shares them so that's all cheated.. half of the teachers don't pay attention cause they're so into what's going on in their life outside of school, about 5 out of 30 kids can actually see the demonstrations, and then when your doing something wrong cause you couldn't see.. 8 times out of 10 you get yelled at for it.. anyway.. don't waste your money.. if you have any knowledge already you should try to just try your luck at a dealership and work your way up like your gonna have to do anyway, you just won't have to pull 26,000 out your pocket.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,189 Likes on 1,820 Posts

This is just my observation and not meant to offend anyone. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. However, from my own observations it appears that Orlando turns out a better caliber tech than Phoenix does. Either that or it was just all of the Phoenix grads I was acquainted with.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,189 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by ctburns
Don't waste your time or money on MMI. It's more of a scam then it is helpful. I went there for the first couple of months you like it cause it's new and your doing something you think is gonna get you somewhere.. Then reality sets in and you find out all the things they promised when you sign on is WRONG. they tell you things like your gonna get $1200 toward snap-on tools free, and that their job placement rating is 92%, and that it's the greatest learning experience.. They blow smoke. you only get like $600 toward snap-on tools, Their job placement rating is more like 2%, and your learning experience sucks once you get out of your theory class. The student to teacher ratio is horrible, there's no 1 on 1 time and if you do get it your lucky, 80% of the class is cheating off someone else, All of the harley classes online that you have to complete everyone in the class has the actual answers to and everyone shares them so that's all cheated.. half of the teachers don't pay attention cause they're so into what's going on in their life outside of school, about 5 out of 30 kids can actually see the demonstrations, and then when your doing something wrong cause you couldn't see.. 8 times out of 10 you get yelled at for it.. anyway.. don't waste your money.. if you have any knowledge already you should try to just try your luck at a dealership and work your way up like your gonna have to do anyway, you just won't have to pull 26,000 out your pocket.
I agree with not wasting time on MMI. You can get hired at an HD shop as a washboy and assist the techs. When an opening comes up for a tech you can work under them and all you would have to do is take your hands-on tests in front of a MOCO instructor.