General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Knife While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Not the first thread I have come across about riding and weapons. Funny how this one is about knives but everyone is so quick to point out that they carry a gun instead. I guess I will start looking for a thread on why so many forum members feel it necessary to be packing? Of all the gear I have accumulated over the years for riding, a weapon has somehow never fit in. Just curious what the rest of the riding community is planning to shoot at or stab at...?

FWIW
Its not my business as to why anyone carries... but...
I participate in this thread out of some curiosity and a need to understand knife laws in TX. I do not carry any weapons, dont own any guns. I do however play compliance officer in my club to keep "guests" legal while they are riding with us. No one carries illegally while with us. No exceptions.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything is illegal in NJ.
Carrying a knife or gun will get you beat to a pulp, shot, tazed, strip searched by a German Shepard and then locked up without a trial. My advise; stay away from NJ plus unless you're looking for trouble there's no need to carry anything but your keys.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Carrying a knife or gun will get you beat to a pulp, shot, tazed, strip searched by a German Shepard and then locked up without a trial. My advise; stay away from NJ plus unless you're looking for trouble there's no need to carry anything but your keys.
I've never cared for NJ before, and still don't. No offense. I have no need or desire to go there......

Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Yeah but you got a great Governor. Can't he fix that?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Over here you can carry a folding knife with a blade length of less than 3 inches for general use.

A locking knife is considered a fixed blade however. What use is a knife that doesn't lock??

I always carry a 3" lock knife clipped on my jeans pocket. Use it all the time. If a copper wants to be an **** I could be arrested for it though.

As for handguns. Our only option is this:

Almost funny when you consider your 2nd amendment came from our Bill of Rights

Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Not the first thread I have come across about riding and weapons. Funny how this one is about knives but everyone is so quick to point out that they carry a gun instead. I guess I will start looking for a thread on why so many forum members feel it necessary to be packing? Of all the gear I have accumulated over the years for riding, a weapon has somehow never fit in. Just curious what the rest of the riding community is planning to shoot at or stab at...?
Typically those who do carry guns also carry a knife (or at least those I know). I don't carry a knife for self-defense, just utility. I'll reserve my opinion on carrying for the gun section of the forum.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

I carry a folding SOG
As for concealed weapons carry? Texas honors other states permits as long as the other states allow the same for Texas residents

Blade length should not than longer than 3" tho I know many LEOs that pay no mind to that unless the person carrying the blade draws needless attention to the knife. But I do know that more than a few eyebrows would be raised if you carry a KaBar or Bowie knife.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
midcitysaint
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
I carry a folding SOG
As for concealed weapons carry? Texas honors other states permits as long as the other states allow the same for Texas residents

Blade length should not than longer than 3" tho I know many LEOs that pay no mind to that unless the person carrying the blade draws needless attention to the knife. But I do know that more than a few eyebrows would be raised if you carry a KaBar or Bowie knife.
It looks like you are in Texas...if that is the case the blade length cannot exceed 5 1/2 inches (not 3). So a 5 inch SOG Pentagon Elite II for example would be just fine....as would be a mini Kabar.

As for why so many people here carry guns? Heck I do it because I know it bothers people from NJ, Kalifornia and Canada. >

What I wonder is why so many of you feel you are immune to anyone ever attacking you with a weapon?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by midcitysaint
It looks like you are in Texas...if that is the case the blade length cannot exceed 5 1/2 inches (not 3). So a 5 inch SOG Pentagon Elite II for example would be just fine....as would be a mini Kabar.

As for why so many people here carry guns? Heck I do it because I know it bothers people from NJ, Kalifornia and Canada. >

What I wonder is why so many of you feel you are immune to anyone ever attacking you with a weapon?
I stand corrected : 5 1/2 " blade length is correct.. have to remember I'm a old cuss lol

As for handgun? Glock .40.. had it for years

Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My. Spyderco or Benchmade assist. On or off the bike. Sometimes dangerous around these parts. Name:  P1000655.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  230.8 KB

Quick Reply: A Knife While Riding