General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley offers voluntary layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:31 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Some of you guys are too predictable....

Want to decide how much someone else gets to make...but when it comes to YOU, it's nobody business, right?

I'm happy for anyone who is successful.....not jealous, and I certainly don't think we need to punish them, or take some of it away to make things "fair".

Geroge Soros would be proud.

~Joe

Old 12-20-2011 | 09:03 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 12,219 Posts

Oddly enough a friend just did an interview with them. They weren't actually hiring - it was looking for a pool of willing workers for future use. Not sure what that means exactly. I know they were talking about 3 day shifts and some other non conventional arrangements. The union was involved in the process. Guess they know they need to make some adjustments. Really, when it comes down to it, unions are a business. They are even more interested in keeping that alive than maintaining their members lifestyle by keeping them working. Not that they aren't trying. But, when the ship sinks (and it is) the union officials will be the one's clinging to the mast while the rest of the boat is under water. Union brothers have socked away dues for a long time to sustain those salaries.

Old 12-20-2011 | 09:58 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always interesting to note that those whining the loudest about H-D's labor practices all own older bikes. Want to help these poor workers out? Get down to your local dealer and buy a NEW bike. Can't afford it? Neither can most of us. These are hard times, and getting worse by the day. Companies are going to do what they need to do to survive, H-D included.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:03 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad upper management isn't doing the voluntary layoffs! Just imagine if 5 upper types "voluntary laid off"... that would let perhaps 5-10 workers keep their jobs. But HD could care less... as long as they and their retirement funds are full!

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:10 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-20-2011 | 12:14 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you were a business owner and things got slow, you wouldn't pay someone to sit around and twiddle their thumbs. If you did, it wouldn't be long before no one in the company had a job.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:20 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

If I were a business owner ( does farming count as a business? Then, I guess I am a business owner ) First of all I would and have done so... trim all fat..starting from the top ! No sense in paying $$$$$$ to PR people, management etc: if business is bad.... furlough them and when times get better... hire the upper types back. Its the average guy/gal who makes or breaks a business... def not upper managers who could read spreadsheets but can't work a assembly line.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:25 PM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Jim
Too bad upper management isn't doing the voluntary layoffs! Just imagine if 5 upper types "voluntary laid off"... that would let perhaps 5-10 workers keep their jobs. But HD could care less... as long as they and their retirement funds are full!
So if production is down, you keep overhead to remove upper management, most likely division heads? That looks smart...

So what if the CEO makes $6 mil for what he does? Like him or not, he is the hired head of an international company and has made the company profitable. If you don't like how they are handling business, contact them directly or speak with your wallet.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:34 PM
aces25
Road Master

If I were a business owner ( does farming count as a business? Then, I guess I am a business owner ) First of all I would and have done so... trim all fat..starting from the top ! No sense in paying $$$$$$ to PR people, management etc: if business is bad.... furlough them and when times get better... hire the upper types back. Its the average guy/gal who makes or breaks a business... def not upper managers who could read spreadsheets but can't work a assembly line.
You mean like spreadsheets used for financial forecasting, projected demand, commodity price track and trend, labor costs, etc? The tasks they perform drive the business - that allows the typical production worker to even have a job because there is a calculated reason for his/her labor. You can't remove parts of the brain and expect the rest of the body to function normally.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:51 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're a dairy farmer and a cow goes dry do you keep feeding it? No, you butcher it. If the elevator isn't buying grain do you keep loading trucks and sending them over there just to keep the drivers employed?

I would think that the upper management folks will be feeling it as well. I also think that it doesn't take a PHD. to work on an assembly line but some think you should get paid like it does.

Quick Reply: Harley offers voluntary layoffs