General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley offers voluntary layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:49 PM
schumacher
|
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Please. The union has got the manufacturing part of this bike building stuff so dumbed down a chimp could do it. What does it take to learn to use an air rachet set to a torque setting and pull the trigger til it doesn't turn anymore. Not like it's a skilled trade

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:58 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the guys laid off, rehired, laid off will have pride in their work and go the extra mile to make sure your new bike is something you'll be totally happy with.

Old 12-20-2011 | 01:25 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyrider_49
Crock o' shizz for the workers.....I bet that CEO ain' taken no layoff,or no cut'n pay,neither.....what is it they pay'n that sumbitch.....6-7 Mill a yr?
Nope - $975,037 annual base pay. I'm not making a judgment statement here - just the facts.

Old 12-20-2011 | 03:33 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver Dave
Nope - $975,037 annual base pay. I'm not making a judgment statement here - just the facts.
That's base pay. I always make twice my base pay. It's meaningless. He made 6.4 million in 2010.

From http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13133507

Harley-Davidson Inc. CEO Keith Wandell received compensation valued at $6.4 million in 2010, up 1 percent from 2009, when the executive spent only eight months on the job.

That's according to an Associated Press analysis of data filed with regulators Friday by the Milwaukee motorcycle manufacturer.

Stock and option awards totaling $3.02 million and a performance-based cash bonus of $2.3 million accounted for most of Wandell's compensation.

Harley reported a $146.5 million profit in 2010, compared with a $55.1 million loss in 2009.

Those are the facts. Some will say he deserves that pay, since under his leadership he took them from loss to profit. To me, when you ask your workers to sacrifice, you should lead by example. HD workers, have already made concessions. Many WI companies used to have local ownership with fair worker compensation. And under that formula they were successful. Like Johnson Wax. With the stock market pressure to make profits, you cheapen your components, lose your domestic content, and alienate your workforce, and your patriotic base demographic. I think that is a FAILURE in leadership, that will eventually bite you in your overcompensated ***.

Old 12-20-2011 | 03:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,084 Likes on 17,944 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I'm not so sure I'd want my next $20K + bike built by "temporary, seasonal workers." If Harley hires back the same ones laid off is one thing, but I have a vision of a bunch of untrained unemployed laborers down at the unemployment office all of a sudden working on a production line....
Well it's happening in black & white now can't weasel word the media around the fact Harley as we know is imploding , the long hard fall has started in earnest and it's gonna be ugly . Always starts in the home field with " voluntary " lay-offs or early retirements and some will be pressured into them . Harely is a luxury toy when you get right down to it , serves no essential function to our economy or country , money dries up so do these places .

The new buzz phrase in the corporate world is " Temps " and it's been the climbing trend for companies to cut labor costs amputation style . Trained and skilled people have been getting dumped into the job market in huge numbers since our economy took a **** beginning with the mortgage & housing price collapse . Only so many jobs to go round and employers have cherry picked , many are desperate and have gone so far as temp worker places for day work . A whole industry has sprung up around these shark outfits playing on peoples desperate misery and companies wanting to weasel out of paying a civil wage for the blood they want . Watched it go down where I worked over a 5 year period and we where union to boot . lot of members in this forum know exactly what I'm saying we've been victims of the system already .

The whole working class structure of our country being driven hard to this labor model , use them , abuse them , and **** on them when they have broke you and get another just like you to do it again .

Old 12-20-2011 | 03:37 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,840 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
That's base pay. I always make twice my base pay. It's meaningless. He made 6.4 million in 2010.

From http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13133507

Harley-Davidson Inc. CEO Keith Wandell received compensation valued at $6.4 million in 2010, up 1 percent from 2009, when the executive spent only eight months on the job.

That's according to an Associated Press analysis of data filed with regulators Friday by the Milwaukee motorcycle manufacturer.

Stock and option awards totaling $3.02 million and a performance-based cash bonus of $2.3 million accounted for most of Wandell's compensation.

Harley reported a $146.5 million profit in 2010, compared with a $55.1 million loss in 2009.

Those are the facts. Some will say he deserves that pay, since under his leadership he took them from loss to profit. To me, when you ask your workers to sacrifice, you should lead by example. HD workers, have already made concessions. Many WI companies used to have local ownership with fair worker compensation. And under that formula they were successful. Like Johnson Wax. With the stock market pressure to make profits, you cheapen your components, lose your domestic content, and alienate your workforce, and your patriotic base demographic. I think that is a FAILURE in leadership, that will eventually bite you in your overcompensated ***.
TOTALLY agree!

Old 12-20-2011 | 06:35 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,172 Likes on 3,679 Posts

6 million ain't gonna make that much difference....I know it's a lot of money but in today's workplace for a CEO that's not that much....But i will take it....LOL

Old 12-20-2011 | 06:40 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel for the workers involved.

I've always thought working at the Kansas City plant would be a fun job...

~Joe

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:02 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

It's the times. I work for a company that has done fine all through the recession, but they are still squeezing their workforce harder and harder in the name of increased profits. I'm glad I'm nearing the end of my working life and not just starting out.

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:15 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Six mill is alot for the size of Harley, hell, they are not GE. Think he could live with 4 mill and keep some employee's, hell no. He will get a raise when the layoffs are complete.

Quick Reply: Harley offers voluntary layoffs