General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Owners Group H.O.G.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM

I'm really glad I read this... all of it. I was questioning whether or not to join.... by the comments posted in here,it sounds like a "lifetime" membership might be referring to the lifetime of HOG.... not the lifetime of the member.

1. I have Progressive through USAA, full coverage plus towing.

2. I purchased a 3-year Harley extended warrantee.

3. I'm 36.... not 66.

4. I've never seen anything from my local chapter... ever.

5. I travel for the Govt 4 months out of the year... so I have more airline points, hotel points, and rental car points than I know what to do with.

6. I'm active duty military - I get a 10% discount at the dealership... on everything except a new bike.

7. I'm a smartphone tech guru... I can create a custom map on Google, through all the great riding areas.... and then send it directly to the GPS on my phone. A paper map? really? I can also make hotel reservations through cheaptickets.com or hotels.com for MUCH less than what I can get it for by flashing a military ID.

8. After two BBB complaints against AT&T, I switched to Sprint... after 4 years still happy. It's cheaper, better, and I get a military discount and a USAA discount.

9. I can buy ANYTHING Hog has ever offered (pins, patches, magazines, maps, etc).... in bulk.... on eBay.... dirt cheap

I am going to join the Patriot Guard.... go on as many missions as I can... and feel good about what I do... and know that it isn't about the money to be a member... its about the commitment, and being a part of something "greater" than yourself.

HOG doesn't sound so "great".

Last edited by ninefourteener; 02-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In the case of the op it doesn't sound worth it, clearly it means different things to different people. At my group I can see that its a social thing for riders who just want a good time on a Sunday and perhaps don't have riding buddies - in which case it suits.

Mine is paid for every other year I guess as I buy on that sort of basis, getting a good deal so the few quid it is just doesnt matter.

Our group though is loose, no other fee's, no politics, just the odd ride but it has brought lots of friends over the years

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,105 Likes on 6,693 Posts

I stopped being a member when I found out I wasn't on Willie G's Christmas card list.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
len_atwork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined national and local when I got my Dyna. Wife & I went on a handful of rides and attended the monthly meetings, but everything we did had some fee involved. The meetings were in a restaurant, so we bought dinner. All the rides we did were some kind of charity event so we had to fork over $20 per person for the priveledge of being part of the ride. I didn't renew the local membership the next year. I kept national since the AT&T discount made it worth it, and my insurance gives me a discount for being a member.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

The local chapter here is pretty good, but has a separate anuual fee too. They ride a lot but most of the rides are kinda short. There's always a few long trips in there too, overnights etc., for the die hards. Like any group some people are in for everything and others aren't. I'm in a MC so I didn't join as we do a lot of long rides to our rallies. But nothing wrong with HOG if you want to meet people to ride with. In my area the local SCRC (Southern Cruisers) does a lot more riding and much longer rides.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
Doesn't it say something about the motorcycle; when so many say they maintain their membership BECAUSE OF THE TOW package........

UNBELIEVABLE.....

Ride In Peace
You've never had a flat or a blowout? How about if you go down and your bike is inoperable? It's happened to me. Hell, I even hit a moose once. None of these instances had anything to do with the mechanical integrity of my motorcycle. I'm not saying, however that H.O.G. itself is worth much.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
chase1500
Intermediate

do the math.45.00 times how many members.what do they do with all that money.it doesnt come back to members.one of the biggest money grabs ever.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had it for a year then realized I could get the road hazzard for $20.00 a year.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

it's only $45 bucks... buy it.