General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Owners Group H.O.G.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I have it because it was free for 1 year.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to join a local HOG group you have to belong to the national. Thats the only reason I belong.
I believe that is true for a lot of folks. The magazine is an interesting 20 minute read and the towing is sub-par but if you are active in your local chapter, it is probably worth it. The chapter experience is what you make it I think. We are active and enjoy many of the people we have met through the chapter. My wife and I are both Road Captains and lead a few rides a year. Also, our chapter does a ton of charity work outside of riding. Our local dealership has been very supportive of the chapter and pays all the local dues as well. It may not be for everyone but it works for us.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I joined HOG in 1983 when it started. I became a Life Member when Harley first offered it. I figured if I was going to pay annual dues, I may as well pay up front. It was going to add up. So I may as well pay once and get many years free.

The HOG was a different group back then. Harley used us as their miniature research group. We were in on new bikes and accessories.

Now I was invited to join the Harley research group. I like the HOG Magazine and the information on the HOG web site. I am enrolled in the Mileage Club and it is nice to see the looks when some notice the pins over 400,000 miles. I have been a member of the local chapter, off and on. I have been to National rides and rallies. They have always been fun.

So it comes down to this. You get what you want and put into it. If you don't do anything, you will not get anything out of it.

Oh, and I forgot the local dealer (Quaid's) gives 10% for National Membership.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 12-20-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

For me it is easy local HOG requires it and local HOG gives me 10% off at the dealership, pretty easy to pay for itself.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have towing with HOG, AMA, and Progressive. Guess I need to tone down on the towing a little. But it does give me a feeling of being "covered".

Anyway, the local dealer supports our HOG chapter pretty well. The chapter is fairly active and has several rides throughout the year. I am 56 and most of them are older than me. Everyone is nice and somewhat welcoming. I went to our state HOG rally this year and had pretty good time.

I am not a big fan of the national HOG magazine. The last issue has Willie G's art work in it. Wow, what a treat. I find the magazine sterile, full of veiled optimism, and so politically correct that it wreaks. I especially grin with I see all of the folks in the magazine posing while wearing their Chinese made HD "gear". I guess it could be termed "Hog mentality" or maybe something even more creative.

Others have said it, HOG ain't what it use to be, and it ain't what it should be. It just is, and if you like that kind of thing then get involved. Nothing wrong with it. It's just not for everyone.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I have towing with HOG, AMA, and Progressive. Guess I need to tone down on the towing a little. But it does give me a feeling of being "covered".

Anyway, the local dealer supports our HOG chapter pretty well. The chapter is fairly active and has several rides throughout the year. I am 56 and most of them are older than me. Everyone is nice and somewhat welcoming. I went to our state HOG rally this year and had pretty good time.

I am not a big fan of the national HOG magazine. The last issue has Willie G's art work in it. Wow, what a treat. I find the magazine sterile, full of veiled optimism, and so politically correct that it wreaks. I especially grin with I see all of the folks in the magazine posing while wearing their Chinese made HD "gear". I guess it could be termed "Hog mentality" or maybe something even more creative.

Others have said it, HOG ain't what it use to be, and it ain't what it should be. It just is, and if you like that kind of thing then get involved. Nothing wrong with it. It's just not for everyone.

WELL SAID, give me an issue of sleazy rider anyday, at least they got BABES

Last edited by Weekender1969; 12-19-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Finish
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Got the National membership for a year with the new bike. Joined the local chapter to see what its about and for the dealers 10% discount. Its been interesting for the first year and got my chapter membership back in discounts but to be honest do not plan to renew as do not feel the National is worth it and have towing coverage with Geico.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I've never paid and am good to fall of 2014. Just buy two bikes at a time and get the free HOG membership extended. Save $40/yr that way.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't belong to their Hog national if I could avoid it. But as others have said, it's necessary if you want to participate with a local chapter. Fortunately our dealership here, gives local chapter members a nice discount. I've more than saved the money I've spent on memberships. Otherwise, the national doesn't really do anything for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

My local dealer offers HOG discounts twice a month and HOG "bucks" for attending meetings and events. Save them up and us them (5% each) up to four at a time ANYTIME for 20% off whatever you are buying INCLUDING labor at the shop. I don't ride with the group rides but attend most meetings and events to pick up the discount coupons, then I can shop at my leisure and bring my stuff home with me. Also keeps the money in the local community. Our HOG Chapter is involved in a lot of benefit charities that I support, and free tow and the rag ain't a bad read, so it is worth my money. I recently used it for rental on a vacation and got a discount rate of $59.95 a day, so it paid for itself for a few years in that alone!

Quick Reply: Harley Owners Group H.O.G.