General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk Grounding....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Let's Talk Grounding....

First, Merry Christmas everyone....!

Alright folks, I'm turning to the masses here for some answers on this.

On my 03 Heritage Springer, there handlebars are grounded with a spring that is inside the risers.

I am replacing the stock bars, with some regular width bars, a Carlini Springer Adapter Plate, and new risers.

I know that the other Harley models have a grounding strap that is attached at the bottom of the riser bolt.

I guess my question is, why do the bars need to be grounded? I have found the grounding strap that is stock on other models. Where does the other end of the grounding strap need to be attached?

Thanks for the help folks!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Don't know about the wiring on the newer mostly electronic bikes but older stuff they had to be grounded for for the kill / start switch to work on the handle bars , several of the wiring circuits where completed by grounding on the bars including running lights & turn signals with the old clamp on setups .

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

TB knows his ****.

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't know about the wiring on the newer mostly electronic bikes but older stuff they had to be grounded for for the kill / start switch to work on the handle bars , several of the wiring circuits where completed by grounding on the bars including running lights & turn signals with the old clamp on setups .

Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would think that if they were the rubber mounted type, you would need a ground strap, prior to the rubber, all was metal to metal. mho.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I would think that if they were the rubber mounted type, you would need a ground strap, prior to the rubber, all was metal to metal. mho.
Wasn't deemed a proper ground to go thought the bearings & races by the engineers , it could cause bad grounding contact drawing more power than the system was designed for and yes that really does happen it was one of the big problems years ago when guys ripped out the the stock harness and rewired the bike with the hot leg going through those tiny *** switch's shovels used and it burnt them out a lot . Also could damage the bearings themselves by arc pitting .

Grounding is one of the biggest overlooked issues by the average person and even mechanics sometimes , loose or bad grounds can give you nightmares chasing an electrical problem that acts like a lot of other things if you haven't had the schooling or dealt with it before . Seen guys tear down half a motor thinking valves were sticking when it was just a dirty intermittent ground contact . The ground wire on the brainbox had corroded so bad up inside the cover it was crumbling but wasn't visible and the bike was one lunging , back firing , not starting but it wasn't consistent .

I'm more than sure the newer bikes with all the black box electronics and sensors are going to very susceptible to problems brought on flaky grounding issues as they age a bit those systems are designed to very close voltage and needed ohm loads to do what they need , bad ground and the ohm resistance ramps up fast . Already seen it in those fancy circuit board lights HD is using now .

Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

See there, I am 62 yrs old and Retired and still learning...

actually never have owned a springer,,, I have never thought about the grounding issue..

Thanks for the info.

NOW if I can only remember this........BAWAHAWAWA..

Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Wasn't deemed a proper ground to go thought the bearings & races by the engineers , it could cause bad grounding contact drawing more power than the system was designed for and yes that really does happen it was one of the big problems years ago when guys ripped out the the stock harness and rewired the bike with the hot leg going through those tiny *** switch's shovels used and it burnt them out a lot . Also could damage the bearings themselves by arc pitting .

Grounding is one of the biggest overlooked issues by the average person and even mechanics sometimes , loose or bad grounds can give you nightmares chasing an electrical problem that acts like a lot of other things if you haven't had the schooling or dealt with it before . Seen guys tear down half a motor thinking valves were sticking when it was just a dirty intermittent ground contact . The ground wire on the brainbox had corroded so bad up inside the cover it was crumbling but wasn't visible and the bike was one lunging , back firing , not starting but it wasn't consistent .

I'm more than sure the newer bikes with all the black box electronics and sensors are going to very susceptible to problems brought on flaky grounding issues as they age a bit those systems are designed to very close voltage and needed ohm loads to do what they need , bad ground and the ohm resistance ramps up fast . Already seen it in those fancy circuit board lights HD is using now .
good post .....
a often overlooked problem ...daggum , I hate it when someone else knows what they are talking about !!! ...lol just kidding

Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Fish Eye to answer your first question about where the ground strap went , the usual way one end with the big ring goes under the nut or bolt for the risers and the other just attached to the tree's themselves and there's usually a ground wire in the harness itself goes to the same place . When I build a bike I cheat and run all the grounds for the bars with the harness inside the bars to clean it all up and just hook it under the tank or dash .

Originally Posted by heybaylor
good post .....
a often overlooked problem ...daggum , I hate it when someone else knows what they are talking about !!! ...lol just kidding
40 yrs of dealing with old bikes a lot of them British who worshiped Lucas Electrics the lord of darkness you learn things sometimes the hard way .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I didn't plan to eliminate the grounding, just not sure where and how I want to run it. I imagine I'll do something where I come off the underside of the riser bolt and run it to the inside bolt of the windshield docking hardware.

And TB, you're definitely right that grounding is one of the most overlooked problems. There's a reason for grounding, and without it being done properly, headaches ensue.

I also agree, on these newer bikes with everything being electronically controlled, grounding is going to be even more important.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You can pick up some of that raw braided wire loom used for ground straps or shielding for electronics , a bit of clear shrink tubing and strip the plastic off the crimp connectors and make a clean looking & trick setup that add's to the looks not take away .

PS it's gotta go to the bike frame itself to be effective what you described is a loop back on itself , it stays on the bars that way and still grounds through the head bearings .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-20-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Grounding....