General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Wrecked :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally Wrecked :(

Well, I didn't think it would ever happen to me, but I went down on Sunday morning while out for a ride with my brother...we were going into a long left turn lane (doing about 20 mph) and his bike hit a slippery spot on the median. His back wheel went out and he laid the bike down right in front of me! I swerved and laid mine down in an attempt to not run over him and, THANK GOD, everybody walked away with minor bumps and bruises.

When I looked at the damage, it was apparent that the engine guards (front and back) saved 99% of my bike with the exception of the handlebars and an auxiliary headlight. I got launched through the ape hangers, so I was lucky to be wearing a leather jacket and my Danner boots. I think I'll purchase a full-face helmet this week (kind of made me think twice about the 3/4). I took safety gear for granted in the past because I think of myself as a pretty competent daily rider, but this really opened up my eyes to the fact that sh&t happens that you can't control and your instincts are all that you can rely on.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
taz ride
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we all live and learn daily. Glad you both are ok. Ride safe my friend. The bikes can be repaired..

Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Glad you're ok. Don't know where you live, but did your brother hit some black ice?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear that no serious injuries ! Our bikes can be repaired alot more easily than we can!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Beach_Bum
Cruiser

Glad you're ok. Engine guards are great. Went down on an old bike and the engine guard kept my leg from getting pinned.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Glad you're ok. Don't know where you live, but did your brother hit some black ice?
We live in San Diego...it looked like the double yellow median stripes were a bit slick from some rain the day before and, to add to it, the paint was so old that it just desintegrated under the tire. The "best" part was when the cop told him that he should try to not ride on the double yellow line again (with a big smirk on his face) as we were pushing our bikes off the road...I think his exact words were, "thanks, I'll take that into consideration."

Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
cmichael
Grand HDF Member

Glad to hear that you are both ok. It just takes one time to really open our eyes. Ride safe.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes gald to hear yall are ok!!! Ive learned you ride in defense mode all the time!! Get her fixed and ride on brother!!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be taking a trip to SD next week i hope

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Any painted lines, especially cross-walks at intersections will bite you every time when wet!

Quick Reply: Finally Wrecked :(