General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
*DUTCH*
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on helmets?

I'm getting back into bikes after a 15 year layoff, and I'm looking for some advice on helmets. I'm thinking of buying a half helmet for the majority of my riding, and in addition a full face helmet for cold weather riding. Any advice on models, types, or features would certainly be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on helmets?

I wear a half helmet in the summer and when riding around town. The rest of the time, I wear a 3/4 with a face shield. On cold rides, I wear one of those head and neck covers under the helmet. Even though I have a wind screen on my bike, I've been nailed by bugs too many times on the face shield of my 3/4 helmet not to wear it on the road.

Guys that ride without a windshield and helmet are a whole lot tougher than me.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

If you go half helmet one with removable ear flaps is nice for different weather also vents that open and close to cool the scalp on hot days, a visor that's also removable for that face shield. Fit is everything and there is many different fits for different heads so try them on and see what's comfy for you.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Dutch

Helmets are a matter of choice for the most part, I ride with a 3/4 helmet in the cold weather, and a german helmet in the warmer weather because it's much more comfortable.

Stop by the NEW MEMBERS AREA on the main page and introduce yourself to the people here, they are a great bunch!

Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the ol skull cap for around town and sometimes on longer trips ill wear a full helmet.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts

I use an NXT 1/2 helmet all the time. It's light, low profile and DOT approved. If it's cold I have a face mask, and in the rain... well, my face gets wet, heheheh...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
DCRANER
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Clammy

I use an NXT 1/2 helmet all the time. It's light, low profile and DOT approved. If it's cold I have a face mask, and in the rain... well, my face gets wet, heheheh...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Same here, and it does not try to lift in the wind, don't even know your'e wearing it most times.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Markcuda
Banned

Have you decided on a color yet?

Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
shewolf
Cruiser

I wear a half helmet on short rides. Got it at the HD store. Has detachabel ear flaps for when it gets cold. I use a full face Shoei for long trips. I just like the protection of the visor when hauling down the road. Shoei makes a good helmet.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

I'm one of those people who likes to cover all bases here in the PNW/Seatte due to the weather people having a 50/50 chance of being accurate in their predictions...so I have a full face (for winter cold and wet riding) with a face mask to cover neck and ears in really cold weater); a 3/4 with visor for those spring/fall days; and a shorty for those hot days like today..........only problem with the shorty is when I encounter unpredicted rain, my rx riding goggles fully exposed to the rain at 60mph just are not effective in seeing the road!!

Quick Reply: Opinions on helmets?