General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
MB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on helmets?

I have a half helmet for around town and a full face for highway trips. Full face is Shoei X-11 and i love it. They are pricey, but i wore the other day in 90 degree heat and was not uncomfortable from heat due to excellent ventillation it provides. Purchased mine from the helmet shop, which was cheapest i could find and excellent service too. mb

Old 07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
2_up_FXDI
Cruiser

i only wear a du-rag in town, but the biggest town around me is only 8500 people. and on a long trip i wear a 1/2 helmet with visor but I have a faceshield for rain. No windshield yet.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dutch,

Just a thought here, if you fall off, you will stand a 47% chance of landing on your chin.

I were a modular helmet, that is a full face that the front opens up. It allows me to put it on/off without removing my glasses and also I can open it to comunicate or get more ventilation when stoped.

DC.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:53 AM
*DUTCH*
4th Gear

Thanks so much for all the great advice everyone, it is much appreciated!

Have you decided on a color yet?

Mark, I was kinda considering black, since the color usually works as a heat sink, and should provide a little more warmth for colder riding, but I suppose I could get another color.

Stop by the NEW MEMBERS AREA on the main page and introduce yourself to the people here, they are a great bunch!
TCSTD, thanks I will get over there and post.

I have a half helmet for around town and a full face for highway trips. Full face is Shoei X-11 and i love it. They are pricey, but i wore the other day in 90 degree heat and was not uncomfortable from heat due to excellent ventillation it provides. Purchased mine from the helmet shop, which was cheapest i could find and excellent service too. mb
MB, I had been looking at Shoei as well as the Harley FXRG, and I'm wondering which is better quality?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi,

Whatever you do, you should wear a helmet regardless. At Sturgis last year I talked for awhile with "Indian Larry" and a month or so later he was dead......A helmet would have saved his life, as he smacked his head on the pavement after falling off of his bike doing a stunt at a bike show.

joe

Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Markcuda
Banned

A helmet would have saved his life
And why are you so sure of that statement?
Do you think just couse some one has one on, he/she will be saved?
His chances would have been much better but who are we to tell[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's safe to say with a pretty high degree that had he been sitting down, it would have saved his life. Also, from the type of fall that he had that a helmet would prob. have saved his life. The question that I have is that if he had to waear a helmet all of the time and ride in an ultra-safe defensive manner, would it have been a life which Indian Larry would have wanted to save? The things he did are what made his life worthwhile to him.
Now me, I've done and continue to do lots of stupid things, however I wear a helmet and ride/drive like I'm invisible. There's a little strip shopping center near me with a K-Mart and several other stores. Never looked dangerous to me, at least not life threatening. About 2 years ago a mature, college professor and experienced rider died there in an accident at a speed low enough that if he had been wearing a helmet, he prob. would have been able to walk away from it.
But it's all a matter of choice and I'll continue to fight for us to have that choice. Art

ORIGINAL: Markcuda

A helmet would have saved his life
And why are you so sure of that statement?
Do you think just couse some one has one on, he/she will be saved?
His chances would have been much better but who are we to tell[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-29-2005, 12:10 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just in case any one cares.....i got a half helmet and in the winter i got a cool mask!! i dont know how a person could ride with a full face helmet....id get closterphobic

Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Half helmet with face shield for putts or around town and a 3/4 with face shield for "On the Road Again."

Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 AM
whiplush
Tourer

I have a helmet from this place http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm and I really like it.
Mines a plain DOT in candy black.

Quick Reply: Opinions on helmets?