General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
thejunk07
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Question

I've never bought a brand new motorcycle before, and my question is this... If you pay in cash the day of the purchase, for the entire thing, will the price get knocked down at all? Basically I want to know if there is any negotiation from the listed price?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Barney Biker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it.
Always been told that they would rather finance the deal.
More income for the dealer that way.

Barney

Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

What he said.

They make money on the financing and interest rates, especially when there is minimum down payment.

If you're going to pay cash, I would definitely not mention that until you feel like you have negotiated your best price. Good luck.

Ride safe

Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
citytrucker26
Road Master

There is not much room for negotiation on brand new bikes. The dealer doesn't make the mobey off the bike like the used ones. They make it through financing. Auto dealerships work the same way. I know this b/c I was looking into a RG 2 years back when they came out with the new frame. Talked to my friend at the dealer, and he said theres not much he can do unless I went with a used bike.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last several new vehicles I bought, I negotiated a great price by financing with the dealer with the program that would benefit him most. Made sure there was no penalty for paying the loan off early, then turned around the next day and paid the finance company off.
The dealers seem to be more open to haggling when they know you'll also be paying a lot of interest over the life of the loan.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my SE Fat Boy, 5 years ago, I got the best deal by financing it through HD. All I had to do was make one payment, then I paid the loan off.
Several months back I bought a new Santa Fe, for the wife. I saved an additional $1,000 by financing it through Hyundai. I had to pay the first 3 monthly payments, then I paid it off.
I only owed a little over $9,000 after my trade-in so I didn't pay that much in interest on those 3 payments.
There isn't much advantage paying cash, with the exception that they will know up front that there will be no money problems.
I usually pay cash for my cars, but when I shop for deals there usually isn't any incentive to pay cash, just low loan rates.
Tom

Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Guess I'm In The Minority!

CASH IS KING! Real dollars could sway a deal favorably to you if you approach the purchase purposefully! I would try to find a smaller dealership and speak to the owner if possible. Let him know your intentions and give an exact list of ALL your wants. (you want to be comparing apples to apples) My best guess is that the heaviest discounts would apply to mods and labor?

My dealer (salesman) liked the fact that I was motivated and ready on the spot to cut the deal. I ONLY talked about an OUT THE DOOR price, no surprises! That included EVERYTHING! - bike (no BS delivery or prep), taxes, mods, labor, - EVERYTHING! Let them figure it out, but, when they throw a number at you be prepared to put up or get out!

OH AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM! - GOOD HUNTING!!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 12-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sale is a sale. They prefer you finance but it's not imperative to them how they get paid.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers will make more on Financing. They get paid for the bike either way, but will also get a commission off the finance rate. So go in and let them run your credit, negotiated the best price with financing. Then when they tell you the price, write and check and be on your way

Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Mate of mine was quoted 2 weeks ago 1000 off list price if he paid cash for the Heritage he is looking to buy. Dunno if it is because its winter and the dealer wants to make an "off season sale", but 1K off is 1K off.

Quick Reply: Buying Question