General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low tire pressure warning system for bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,178 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraEd
I don't mind checking my tires manually before I ride, but what happens if you pick up a screw or nail while you are riding? You could have a real problem. This thing warns you while you are riding.

What happened to me was the thing stayed aired up until I stopped. Then it went completely flat in about a minute and a half.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like the idea. Checking the pressure once a week is not really an issue, it is when you run over something and it causes an instant slow leak. I would like to know when my pressure starts to go down before I hit the twisties with no psi. Check out Orange, they make a nice TPMS for a fairly decent price.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Military HummVee had a toggle switch to raise, lower or adjust air pressure from the cabin. Sure, I did my weekly PMCS checks for tire pressure, but I sure enjoyed the ability to raise or lower air pressure on the fly. I wouldn't mind such a feature on my Ultra Classic

Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,152 Likes on 12,213 Posts

Nice find - thx for posting it up.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't listen to these guys, I think that is a great idea. I don't know about $160 though. I will wait a bit and let them come down to about half that. If it catches on, it will come down.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a waste of $! Check your tires the old fashion way and don't be a slave to idiot lights. Just my 2 cents. But then again some people will tell you that the dealer can change the oil on your bike, never seen it but what the old phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted"

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll stick to the old fashion way !

Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I see this a tire-pressure guage and a low-pressure-warning system as two different things.

If I had a Sportster, I would use my tire guage more often. It can take a couple of minutes to check t.p. on a bagger if it's not parked quite right (depending on the condition of my knees and how clean I want to be when I get done).

Yet, even though I wouldn't mind the type of TP sensor like we have on our new van ( I don't want a valve stem cap that isn't a really a cap, especially if it's easily removed or an amount of weight that can become a balance issue), I gotta admit that I've got a Tire Pressure Indicator on the dash that comes on for no reason for awhile in the van. All pressures get checked as OK, but the T.P. light on the dash stays on for a few days and then goes out by itself. If there really WAS an urgent tire pressure problem, we have now been taught a response that is not urgent.

So obviously, it's a governmental requirement to enhance our safety, because a lot of money and photos were distributed and now we're being taught to ignore tire-warnings when we are told they need more air pressure because it's now just another possible false alarm instead of an actual concern.

But I'm not worried, our good ol' politicians will be able to fix their fix just as well as they fixed the problem that they fixed themselves into sounding like they really needed to fix in the first place. They'll just fix it so it costs more money.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 PM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That **** is federally required on cars and trucks. Major PITA.. This system might be alright, but I don't like the idea of taking the schraeder valve out of the loop.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A seasoned rider will know when something is not quite right with the tire pressure, those in the know, know what I mean, leave alone a direct blowout. If you feel comfy with it, do it.mho.

Quick Reply: Low tire pressure warning system for bikes