General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 PM
dlowder
Advanced
Location: Lived 52 years in Thomasville NC and moving to Edgewaterpark NJ in Feb.09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding

I find myself running 15 to 20 over the limit all the time before i know it and know its only a matter of time before i get caught. How do you guys that like to run hard keep from getting multiple speeding tickets. I have seen some radar detecters and something that makes your bike invisable to radar detecters. Are these any good and which ones are better. Or anything that will work. Sometimes i keep a car in front of me just to pace myself because when i'm up front i like to twist the throttle.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Speeding

I find myself watching the speedo when riding and when i look i'm usually well over. I know i'm due and it's a matter of time. Thought about the radar detector as well but not sure how i'd hear it or where to put it where i could get to it and it wouldn't look funny.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

One word... "Cruisecontrol".
ORIGINAL: Keith_H

I find myself watching the speedo when riding and when i look i'm usually well over. I know i'm due and it's a matter of time. Thought about the radar detector as well but not sure how i'd hear it or where to put it where i could get to it and it wouldn't look funny.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a risk you have to decide to take or not. Sometimes I like to ride hard, and get over the limit. I also know If I get busted, I'll have to pay. That's the way it goes. Around town is where it's the worst. I'm constantly 5-10 mph over, no matter what i'm riding/driving. I just try not to get stupid about it.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've ridden all kinds of bikes and some of them really "invite" speeding and require extra strong descipline. However, that is one of the things I enjoy about a Harley with forward controls. It invites laid back, smell the roses kind of cruising and I find with my 1200 C I won't go more than 5 over the limit no matter what it is.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Bear64
Banned

Radar Detecter mounted on the handlebar behind the fairing..and lots of luck. But last year I took it off and decided to slow down, so far so good.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

One thing for sure, if you are speeding and a LEO see's the radar detector...you are going to get a ticket. I would advise you're better off without it.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

I got a $240 speeding ticket in Nebraska. That'll make you watch your speed.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Bear64
Banned

maybe so?? I got nailed 85 in a 55 zone by a female Iowa state trooper and after running me she just said I don't think I need to chew you out, just slow down..This was on Memerial day weekend a couple of years ago..but then you have to know that I'm such a loveable old guy, and sort of cute in my own way.. well that part may be a lie, but she did let me go..and I even told her that my radar dectecter sure didn't help that time..and when I asked her how fast I was doing she just said, if I tell you I have to write you up..My lucky day I guess....I must say though I do not think anybody should speed, but then who will listen to me. [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I find it very hard to maintain the speed limit on the bike especially when you run by the rpms and the sound. I find it quite easy to be doing 20-30 over in a heartbeat if you're not careful....but of course I have "Badge America" so I don't worry about it too much

Quick Reply: Speeding