General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels

We are trying to get better at providing our customers with a great wheel buying experience so I was hoping you guys give us some honest feedback. What were the most important things that lead to your wheel purchase? Price? Wheel design? Brand? ETA? etc. Also after you had them installed and put some miles on the wheels what could have been done/explained differently that would have made your experience better? Any constructive input from those that have bought aftermarket wheels or those that are in the market is much appreciated.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Robert,
I have never bought anything from you, but want to editorialize that for a company to come on here, not defending any poor actions or business behavior but to do a positive followup with the sole purpose of customer satisfaction in mind- asking for honest feedback both good and bad to improve upon- really says a lot about the integrity of your company! I applaud your efforts to go that extra mile and your ethics to do right by the customer. I will definitely have to take a good look at you guys when it comes time to order for my bike... I like dealing with a company that values their customers!
You just don't see this every day, unfortunately.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice wheels, but Damn! Over $2k....way out of my budget! I'll just have mine Chromed.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price, I had some prices quoted to me for wheels about 2,500 dollars, I ended up finding the equivalent wheels for 370.00 from a shop out of PA, Same brand, DOT approved.

Also, I would have spent bigger money if all the harley wheels I've seen besides spoke wheels didn't look so tacky.

I don't know what it is, but whoever designer wheels for bikes (from all manufacturers) needs to make like Harley, and target a younger audience that knows Tribal, Barbed Wire, and Flames aren't cool.

Old school is in, at least in my group of friends, we all ride brand new bikes, but done up to look as modern old and old school as possible (think chip goose inspired cars)

I understand that most of the old timers are the ones with money when it comes to buying big money accessories for bikes, but I'm in my 20's, and I'm pretty hip with it, modern old school is where its at.

Edit: I just want to add that I had no choice but to go with spoked wheels to achieve the look I was after, because all the wheels I've found online either have an implied tribal design, or a terrible implied iron cross design, or fat mags, all of which, in my opinion, will never sell to guys in their 20's.

Last edited by kyleplusitunes; 12-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did buy some a few years back for my fatboy. I bought radial laced fatspoked wheels with rotors , pully and tires. all arrived with the exact psi in the tires ready to mount. You guys even told me about the sealed bearing kit for the front. Price was excellant. and was all shipped to Massachusetts Good company!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Price was my issue. I knew I wanted a fat spoke, radial laced wheel, but I'll be damned if I will pay over seven hundred dollars for one. When I found one for $249, in snatched it right up. When the aftermarket costs more than the MOCO, theres a REAL good chance I'm not interested.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 12-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The big complaint I hear from people (and I'm not singling out Hogpro here) is install "surprises" related to spacers. I know it isn't possible for you to test and catalog every possible combination, but creating a table that listed wheels and common front end arrangements would go a long way toward solving this issue. What I'm suggesting is just a simple matrix... say, wheel models listed down column 1, and then checkboxes going across, that indicate stock spacers yes/no for each front end type.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are wheels so dang expensive??? I just don't get it. One wheel cost more than four wheels for an automobile!!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbon fiber

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Price always seems to be the main issue, but quality, availability, and customer service are a close second and third. Wheels are tricky as I am sure you know and ensuring that everything is perfect and ready to bolt on is equally important. There is nothing worse than shelling out your hard earned dough for something that you wait and wait for that does not fit as it should. At this point, dealing with a competent company is extremely important as contact must be made. There are so many small fly by night companies in this industry that it is sometiems difficult to weed out the good companies.

That is where the forums come in. HogPro has been well spoken of here on the forums since I first became a member in 2006. 3 of my close friends bought wheels at HogPro and were treated like gold and you guys even opened on Saturday for them for the installs although you are not normally open on the weekends. Props from me.

Drew

Quick Reply: For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels