General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price, reviews on wheel and ETA. I will be going with a DNA spoke wheel and I love it. You cant beat the price of that wheel compared to a contrast wheel. I can get the wheel,rotors,and tire for around $1k. this is for a 21''. 23'' is about $200 or so more I think.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM
navyshooter73
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market for a set of aftermarket wheels for 2 reasons-lose some weight, lose some chrome. Performance/quality are tops. Price is a very close second of course. I think for most of us on this forum, price is always going to be a major factor. ETA for me isn't such a big deal, as I spend a lot of time away from home (and the bike).
I agree with others who posted about the supply/demand issue being a big reason moto wheels are so much more than car/truck wheels. Makes you wonder why manufacturers of aftermarket wheels for autos don't offer at least some moto wheels. The equipment/tooling has to be close to the same. I know Weld did, not sure of others.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
HDwildcat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for HogPro ;
How would you handle a situation where I purchased the most expensive wheel package you have, ( wheels, rotors, pulley, brake calipers) and a phattail kit ( which I don't know if you sell them or not, but say you do). All installed by the HD dealer when the bike was new. Parts are a few years out of warranty but the bike only has 12k miles. Chrome is peeling off one caliper and one wheel.

FWIW, I completely understand the warranty issue and I don't go ballistic when it doesn't work out favorably for me. I will make an effort to get something out of the deal. I just don't expect therefore I won't be disappointed.

Just like to hear an honest answer, no sugar needed.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread...
But price.....
And I don't want to hear supply and demand..
1 bike for every X amount of cars...
Yeah....
Every bike has 1/2 the amount of wheels, even then most get one wheel...
No it's. It backwards logic.. Sell for more because you make less..
You are making 50% less wheels.. Production time...labor, machine time, all cut in half.
All the work is done by a machine on most wheels.. With a cad operator....
Most mc wheels are t a guy in a garage making one wheel at a time, the are big manufacturers that make more than one item. Chances are more than mc wheels too... The initial tooling costs are already covered, all the parts supplies, and blocks of aluminum are already inhouse...

Think modern computers or electronics. . Would any of you still pay 5000 for a laptop? 10000 for a tv?
Heck, my iphone4 is 99 bucks!!!

Plain and simple, motorcycle companies gouge their captive customers..
What makes better money sense?
Sell 3 wheels and 2000 bucks
Sell 100 wheels at 400 bucks?

Supply and demand??
Yeah....
Supply the wheels or parts at a reasonable rate...
There will be a much higher demand for that part...

Exhaust systems should not cost 1000 bucks...
10 feet of good gauge pipe is what.. 50 bucks
The initial investment in the tooling, design, is expensive... But yes, I'd rather sell 1000 exhaust systems for 500,
Than 20 for 1200!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I had an idea on the general style I wanted (some kind of black contrast cut) and then it was price vs. quality and manufacturer reputation to consider. Happy to say that for me, HogPro fit the bill to a tee.

I think a big reason bike wheels are expensive is because the good ones are cut from forged billet, not cast, and include the hub and bearings. Price a quality forged auto wheel and you won't be getting 4 for the price of 2 bike wheels. Plus, when a wheel fails on a bike, the results can be much worse than on a car so don't go too cheap.
Exactly, we really cannot directly compare motorcycle wheels to automobile wheels.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsdad
Why are wheels so dang expensive??? I just don't get it. One wheel cost more than four wheels for an automobile!!
That's why I haven't changed.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

In my opinion, I'd rather have simpler designs. Thats where Harley still shines. Wheels such as the Contrast cut Agitator is attractive, simple in design and not overly expensive as far as custom wheels go.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My parents bought their first house in the 50s for $3,500. That lets you know how I feel about spending 2-3k on a wheel. Guess I'm a bit more frugal than that. And these rear end conversion kits for 3k where you just get a fender and two metal fender struts... I guess they're trying to get their design time and production costs back with the first 10 customers.

I'm of the mind you will sell 5 times as much if you halve the price.