General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The style for the bike is the very first consideration it must be what compliments the direction your taking the look of the bike all the others are subjective ..... For instance i am still waiting for a better deal on the Ness Bones Wheels they are over $4000 a pair with extras needed to fit my bike ....

Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 main things that have already been mentioned in the other posts;

Style:
one that fits the bike, not what the manufacturer thinks is the latest trend, so they can feed only the trendy style of the day variety.

Quality:
good quallity products should not cost an arm and a leg, after all it is not rocket science. You already need the equipment to manufacturer the product you offer, its not like it has to be special equipment each year a new design comes out, it is production equipment, not like your free style cutting them (they are cookie cutter products)

Price:
It's time to stop fleecing the customers for capital corporate gain, and make it a fair trade for those with whom would buy your product (novel idea; make it affordable and more people would buy it/stop trying to be elitists).

Not necessarily in that order.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

I think that next year we will see better deals on wheels .....remember it's US who keep the industry going NOT the other way round and i think that maybe just maybe the people who under the pretext of design and manufacturing cost's will realise everyone is cutting back and if they want to have a business then they will have to accomodate ...... they have had us by the short and curly's no sympathy if they go to the wall all of the custom guy's have had a F######ing good living off the back off bikers for too long

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like hand guns, the prices of them have dropped in the last year or so!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Price is always a factor in anything I buy
Selection and availability 2 & 3
Customer Service up there with 2 & 3

Am in the market right now for wheels and tires, floating rotors for my SG BUT price will go a deciding factor or I may just have stock wheels powder coated.

my 2 cents

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Companies are not making the massive profits on wheels that you think they are. It is a very labor intensive process that takes a lot of man power and man hours.And, if you want a made in the USA product you are going to pay more as well. I have no problem paying more for a made in the USA product as I prefer to support our economy.

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 12-15-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an idea on the general style I wanted (some kind of black contrast cut) and then it was price vs. quality and manufacturer reputation to consider. Happy to say that for me, HogPro fit the bill to a tee.

I think a big reason bike wheels are expensive is because the good ones are cut from forged billet, not cast, and include the hub and bearings. Price a quality forged auto wheel and you won't be getting 4 for the price of 2 bike wheels. Plus, when a wheel fails on a bike, the results can be much worse than on a car so don't go too cheap.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Companies are not making the massive profits on wheels that you think they are. It is a very labor intensive process that takes a lot of man power and man hours.And, if you want a made in the USA product you are going to pay more as well. I have no problem paying more for a made in the USA product as I prefer to support our economy.
Commodity costs are being fought as well.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

There is a hell of difference in helping the economy and being legged over .... I certainly will support American made and have 4 Harleys to prove that point and i'm not even American ..... but IF the industry isn't making massive profits as you say then the way things are now and are likely to go next year and beyond some are going to go down the pan because people are (a) not going to have the sort of money their asking because they are thinking jobs and a roof over their head (b) not putting custom wheels on their rides because before you could factor in the price UP TO a POINT when you came to sell it ..... now with more people having to sell their rides because they need the money for (a) it's a buyers market bike prices are down so your going to think twice about $3000 or more for 2 wheels to put on your reduced value Harley....

Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 PM
buggy
Road Captain

I have bought wheels from hog pro twice,and I can't say anything but great product and customer service.I will buy from them again.

Quick Reply: For Those That Bought Aftermarket Wheels