General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it difficult to build a bike ground up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
That you very much for your advice! And also for confirming the frame. Is there anything you can tell me about anything else you might spot in those pics?
You keep one thing front in head if your really going do " That Bike " and no substitutes except for the motor , trans , that springer and the electric stuff none of the rest have been made in years . Most of it came from the few places we had in those days like Jammers Handbook all 40 pages of it and half that was for hondas so a lot was hand made or modified to work from something else . I will say the old boy did a sweet & clean job of it , everything looks tight and rigged over like so many I've seen or unf*cked for guys over the years .

Your best bet is a boat load of research into basic mechanics , chopper building in general , there's a few really good sites for that like http://www.chopperweb.info/forum/articles.php real in depth down to earth info on everything . Another biggie is learning to identify parts , you'll be doing a lot haunting swap meets and old garage piles for big parts . Some you'll end up repairing and re-chroming , some you may find on line at big salvage houses .

You do get into this and get this and you can pick shovel motors for $1500-$2500 if you hunt around and I'll direct you to some reasonable & cheap places to get work done it doesn't have to cost your first born to get decent work done if you willing put it together with help and follow some instructions . I hear about guy spending $5000 on a rebuild and shudder , somebody is making grand theft on mark up and labor in those figures . Expensive doesn't always mean better , a lot of name riding goes on there .

Here's a another shot of that same frame , I did a Kawa 900 with one back in the 70's . Also most everything on that was hand made like the sissy bar , the tank , the rear light assy & under fender mount bracket ( 10 yrs before harley did the same thing ) the seat , and bunch of other stuff .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-15-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Tarponrod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of building a bike from parts. But after I talked to the Florida state office where you get the new title from I found out it was almost impossible. Here in Florida you have to provide the VIN of the bike the major parts came out of such as motor, frame , tank , tranny.... that aint going to happen from Ebay or a swap meet.
The A-hole at the inspection office said you could go before a judge and get a waiver but who knows.
So I'm going to get a donor bike get it titled in my name then start the project.

My advise is check out your state laws before spending any money

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
My uncle made this chopper in the early 80's. He is now in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

I know im dreaming, but i had a thought of how nice it would be to build this and ride to his house. Plus it would be a badazz bike to own i bet haha!

I dont know much about being a wrench ... a couple months ago someone had to show me how to unbolt my seat lol, but I do have some friends that could/would help where needed. My concern is, I have no idea how much of this is bolt-on, and how much of it he had to have fabricated.

Would it be extremely expensive?

Where do i even begin? Again im only half serious at this point, just gathering thoughts.

Thanks
Not that hard but if I was serious about building a bike I would go check out other forums like chopcult,jokey journal, and clubchopper. IMO good luck

Old 12-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building cycle isn't so hard, although not so easy either.

basic math & a couple manuals will get ya through it, add some cash flow & a boat full of patience.
Ya need the patience more than the manuals & money. Plenty of times you'll get elbow deep into it just ta decide ta stop & go another direction...

Ya might keep the ole man more interested if ya build somethin fer yerself rather than somethin he'll never get ta use.

ya can do it though--
Spendin time w/ the old man--PRICELESS

just my pennies worth of sense

10 grand or so, from scratch is enough for basic Bobber

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarponrod
I thought of building a bike from parts. But after I talked to the Florida state office where you get the new title from I found out it was almost impossible. Here in Florida you have to provide the VIN of the bike the major parts came out of such as motor, frame , tank , tranny.... that aint going to happen from Ebay or a swap meet.
The A-hole at the inspection office said you could go before a judge and get a waiver but who knows.
So I'm going to get a donor bike get it titled in my name then start the project.

My advise is check out your state laws before spending any money
Lotta states have gotten goofy stupid about builder bikes anymore and out here regardless of what you start with it has to meet current EPA regs like having a cat & all the smog BS . I always try an find a basket starter with paperwork it's way simpler .