General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbs vs efi... was there way more efi bikes made?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

'03 is Carbureted and the '10 is Fuel Injected. Asking which one I like better is like asking someone which of their children they like more.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
'03 is Carbureted and the '10 is Fuel Injected. Asking which one I like better is like asking someone which of their children they like more.
lol. I like that answer

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
The one thing no one seems to mention, & the most important to me, is the RIDE quality. At steady cruise at ANY speed, carbs give a WAY smoother ride. Ther is none of that "jerkiness" associated with EFI.
Dickey: If you have surging then you have a poor quality map or your fuel injectors are bad or dirty. The 2006 Dynas had 8 degree fuel injectors that didn't spray correctly and were replaced with the 25 degree triple spray CVO injectors. The surging disappeared immediately and the throttle response was instant. Once I did my injectors and stage one and sert tune my bike ran perfectly.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 12-14-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had both. I prefer EFI.

My Power Commander 5 with Autotune CONSTANTLY adjusts and keep my bike in tune all the time.

I love it....Love breakerless ignition too!

~Joe

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've only known, and actually only wanted EFI on my first bike, the Deuce. Knowing automobiles, I know that EFI is superior for performance and mileage.

However, the off-idle response of our TBW bike with the Thundermaxx is a little jerky (as it was stock too). I still prefer EFI.

I haven't noticed a sound difference vs. my friends Carb bikes.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I haven't noticed a sound difference vs. my friends Carb bikes.
At least with touring bikes, HUGE difference in sound (at idle) between my carb bike and my friends EFI bikes. Just say'n.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
At least with touring bikes, HUGE difference in sound (at idle) between my carb bike and my friends EFI bikes. Just say'n.
assuming everything else identical, I would be curious to know idle speed differences if any and how rich/lean the carb is running. The EFI can be programmed for that too. Intake noise is another matter.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an '05 and own currently an '08 with no problems EFI. Cars, planes, metrics... etc have been with EFI for years not new technology. This being the internet one guy has a problem and EFI is called unreliable the opposite is true. Carbs were the best tech of the day EFI is more efficient many books and articles back that up YMMV

Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Latest and newest isn't always better. I got sick last week, felt like ****. OL says..."I'm gonna get the thermometer and see if you are running a fever". She gets out the faincy *** digital one we bought a couple years ago.

It don't work. Batteries are dead! It takes a couple of those big button batteries that cost about as much as the damn thermometer did. I say forget it, I ain't dyin it's just the flu (got a flu shot the week before at the VA, go figure).

She calls a neighbor and borrows their old fashion glass/mercury oral thermometer and takes my temp in 3 minutes.

Next day off to the store she goes to buy a glass/mercury thermometer, pharmacist tells her they can't get them anymore. WTF.

I miss the old fashion **** that always works when you need it. Same thing with watches, give me an old fashion wind up or self winding any day over one that I have to buy a friggin battery for every few years.

OK............Hijack/Rant over. Back to the subject at hand.

I don't need no stinking EFI on my Motorcikle!!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss

She calls a neighbor and borrows their old fashion glass/mercury oral thermometer and takes my temp in 3 minutes.
At least you hope it was....

Quick Reply: carbs vs efi... was there way more efi bikes made?