General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Git hit in the rear at a stop light, in traffic (Be careful out there)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Git hit in the rear at a stop light, in traffic (Be careful out there)

Well, it was on my Z1000, pulled up to a stop light 0930 is hrs, angled the bike between the cars in front and checked the mirrors to make sure the car behind was stopping, she was so go back to looking forward at light. About 10 seconds go's by and boom the bike jumps about a foot forward. I turn around and look (I just knew she was on the phone or doing make up), nope she was looking right at me scared. I put stand down and walk back, she was getting out already apologizing, I told her to get back into the car (very busy intersection, 8th street and Le June in Miami)) and be fkn careful before she kills some one, she apologizing the whole time. Got back on bike as the traffic started to move and just got around traffic to clear road. Lucky it was my Z1000 and not my Utra that I usually ride. She just hit my tire, no damage.

A couple observations to the forum:

Its Christmas time, people are thinking about everything but driving.

Lots of Christmas parties =drunk/buzzed drivers on the road.

People don't see you, they will hit you on a Harley and completely run you over on a Jap bike.

It gets dark earlier so more danger, especially at the early dusk during rush hour.

For you guys that are in the great white north and cant ride just be careful driving, snowmobiling, ice skating, skiing, snow shoeing, or whatever you do to get around up there.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it was relatively minor and you're here to tell us about it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky, i just heard about a friend of mine was hit from behind and throw him into the back of a F150 at a stop light. Woman on the phone. Totaled his bike and he is all banged up but will live. When i talked with him, he told me he was thinking of trading in his 07 Ultra for a 2012 like mine. Now his mind is made up... doesn't have much of a choice i guess...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok. and the bike is fine. Be careful down there.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I wasn't so lucky.

Sat at the light for 2 1/2 minutes.

The woman, sending texts, was behind me. The lane to the right got the green and she hammered the gas and crushed the bike into the car in front of me.

She got out of her car screamed "Oh my god, Oh my god" the went to the witnesses and told them "I didn't see him, you know I didn't see him..right".

She never hung up the phone, never said sorry, then got pissed off at me when the cops issued her a ticket.

If you ride a motorcycle, do not use Allstate Insurance!

Last edited by Toypuller; 12-12-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That always scares me. I've been rear-ended in almost every car I've owned (sitting at a light or stop sign). Bastards out there just aren't paying attention.

Funny story: Was sitting at this one stop sign and this clown slid into me from behind. WHAM. Got out and walked back and it was a gal dressed up as a clown going to a party! Full wig and everything.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM
FlyinRyan93
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller

If you ride a motorcycle, do not use Allstate Insurance!

Why's that? I have Allstate....

Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

When I'm tail end Charlie at a light, or anything that makes me stop on the road, I watch approaching traffic, and flash my brake lights if I think they're not slowing soon enough. Once, long time ago at night, was so sure the car coming up behind me at a light wasn't stopping, that I goosed it across the red light - and the car ran it. I'da been creamed. Never saw the driver, just took off and stayed ahead till one of us turned. Somebody ever does that to you, especially when you're the only lights on the road, you don't want to let them get beside you, might not have been accidental. I've done triple digit until a car was out of sight a couple times when people were acting just downright freaky. I've never had a problem like that since moving to Minnesota, people up here seem above average for bike consideration. But they sure aren't for other cars...

Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

[QUOTE=masterblaster;9137150]A couple observations to the forum:

Its Christmas time, people are thinking about everything but driving.

Lots of Christmas parties =drunk/buzzed drivers on the road.

QUOTE]

Had a heart skipper last night (this morning) on the way home from work...2:30 am.

Low 40's and had scattered showers. Roads mostly dry in Atl, but got progressivly worse north. Made it safely off the interstates, then... Could see some azzhat in one of those fart-tube Hondas rippin through corners heading my way. As he approached, he was runnin' so fast he couldn't maintain his line and had drifted over the yellow... far enough that I actually lifted my left leg. Thought "chit, this guys gonna sideswipe me, gotta get my leg from between the bike & the car!"

Glad ya didn't get hurt, or the bike damaged Jerry!

Your right...................ALL THE IDIOTS HAVE BEEN SET LOOSE ON THE ROADS!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan93
Why's that? I have Allstate....
I was sitting still at a red light and got slammed.

Allstate (her insurance) too 100% liability on behalf of their client.

Then, they told me I would be assessed a "liability quotient" because I was on an "inherently unsafe vehicle". North Carolina law says if you are partially at fault, then you can't collect pain and suffering. If they convinced me to accept partial blame, they wouldn't have to pay.

Allstate agreed to a rental (my primary vehicle is a bike). Then reneged because I also own a truck. Their reasoning was that "Nobody uses a motorcycle for primary transportation"

Allstate agreed to loss of use payment (Bike was down for 2.5 months), then reneged because down time was more than 20 days.

Allstate stated because I chose to ride a motorcycle, they shouldn't have to pay. If I had been in a car, the damage would be less.

Allstate refused to reimburse medical.

Allstate refused to pay the full repair bill.

Allstate refused to pay towing.

Allstate repeatedly lied, delayed, and reneged on agreements.

I am suing their client, because they are so difficult to deal with. Back to court on Thursday, with their insured.

Last edited by Toypuller; 12-12-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Git hit in the rear at a stop light, in traffic (Be careful out there)