General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a bike with this warning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

See If they will let U do the Second part (Phase 11) of the testing for Free....

Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 PM
SGT89EVO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might you might get some stuff that wasnt on the original like the test model vette and stuff never know

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 4,201 Posts

It would be a mistake. Back before TV I accepted a brand new tested for quality 1979 Ford Mustang. It was a top of the line, leather seats and all the options. It actually spelled out the test conditions and results. An believe it or not a list of the fixes. It was a full 8.5 x 11 sheet of them. Should have took it as a warning when on the list it said door hinges not lubricated and there was a big dollop of grease the size of your thumb at each hinge hanging down.
At one year old the car had stayed in the shop longer then I had it. The engine had been over reved and had bent valves. Both rear rims were bent. The front end was so out of alignment after repeated attempts to straighten the limited frame section at the mounts they gave up on it. At about 1 1/2 year old and 15k or so miles it was using a quart of oil ever 600 hundred miles. They said it was with in limits. Got rid of it. Sadly have never had another car with a US name. One of the biggest reason's I have my Harley. Least it looks like I half live here. I do sometimes think they secretly test it however.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an experimental olds 65 442 4 speed with the tallest gears I have ever had in a car.
it had (when new) a show paint finish, black on black, console mounted tach, first gear went forever. it had sway bars and huge brake drums. also had a plaque on the dash stating what it was (can't remeber what it said). it was well weathered when I got it. awesome car. sold it for 1500 paid 800 for it.
Things have sure changed.

just because it was beaten on doesn't mean it was beaten to death....

Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,166 Likes on 6,706 Posts

That's technical jargon. Translation:
"This bike won the burnout contest at the Dime Horseshoe Bar in Sundance, Wyoming. In case you haven't noticed the blue smoke coming from the pipes just off-idle, we bypassed the rev-limiter and flattened the valve seals when we floated it in 5th gear. We changed the tire, but don't feel like giving you the details of all the other damage we caused. Good Luck.
(PS - We're keeping the trophy)"

Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I'd tell them I'll pay whatever the asking price is as long as they'll hook me up with the people that hire the guys that do the "accelerated durability testing".

Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attention shoppers we are now selling vaseline and slightly used condoms, fifty percent off. Guess what, if you buy this bike at any price, you're going to need both..

Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Selling it "as is"? No way. Even when you buy a demo from a dealer you get warranty. But I guess that demo means demonstrator, not demolished.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by remike
Attention shoppers we are now selling vaseline and slightly used condoms, fifty percent off. Guess what, if you buy this bike at any price, you're going to need both..
Hell, I think a fair percentage (maybe 5%) of the people on this forum probably abuse their personal bikes as bad if not worse than the one in question as been ridden. Who knows what kind of abuse any used bike has gone through. Buying used is usually a crap shoot unless you have personal knowledge of how the bike was treated.

I would be Leary of any used bike that has had extensive performance mods done to it but I see guys here talking about the great deal they got on some hotrod, or the highly modded one that they have for sale and no one seems to give it a second thought.

Most guys I know that have done a bunch of performance work to their bikes ride the **** out them.

Just an observation.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Amish gone bad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Hell, I think a fair percentage (maybe 5%) of the people on this forum probably abuse their personal bikes as bad if not worse than the one in question as been ridden. Who knows what kind of abuse any used bike has gone through. Buying used is usually a crap shoot unless you have personal knowledge of how the bike was treated.

My way of thinking too. Plus warranties and me ------- dealer gave like 90 days or something on the one used bike I bought. Got it home and discovered that the brake pads in front were just about toast and the rear maybe a shade or two better. This despite the brand-new inspection sticker on the front fork tube proclaiming everything examined and safe. Went back to him. His first tactic was "Why were you inspecting a bike we just inspected" (Because I inspect everything I ride every three months or so) and then it was "you must have burned them out getting home" (all 37 miles). Long made short, I got 20% off the pads and considered myself lucky. Anything other than new I assume I'll be fixing it myself so give me enough off and I'll load it in the trunk in pieces.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a bike with this warning?