General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'ing "Jiffystand" Failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
I don't see how the bike can come off the jiffy stand with the weight on it, unless the bike moves a good bit. Was the bike in neutral or could it have rolled after putting down the stand?
I agree. i always make sure I give the bike a nice pull back on the stand before i get off and sometimes twice just to make sure.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,263 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
Not to be offensive, but I believe this is one of the first articles I read upon joining HD forums. Park in Neutral? Never have and never would, even if on perfectly flat ground. bike has the tendency to roll forward because of design. Only way to make sure you bike doesn't slip and fall, is to personally see the detente lock into place each time you set the bike on the stand. If you don't do this each time, you can only blame yourself when it does fall. The top screw did loosen up once on mine and I noticed it because I make the habit of watching the top of stand set into the detente. If it sets firmly it should support you and a passenger sitting on it.

aka Bob
Same here, would never consider parking my glide or former softail in neutral, or my pick-up or car either for that matter.
Why would you want to? I don't get it, I guess..

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding off and on for almost 40 years and have had 6 bikes in the last 10 years LOL.
this is my first Harley and the stand is by far the best invention made!! Is it perfect, probably not but I worry less about my Street Glade than any other bike I ever had.
Because I have had bikes almost go over while getting something out of the saddle bag, or parked on a slight downhill I am very careful to part uphill when possible and I always leave the bike in gear, habit after so may years of having to be careful.
Sorry your bike went down, however it happened I bet it wont again!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
Not to be offensive, but I believe this is one of the first articles I read upon joining HD forums. Park in Neutral? Never have and never would, even if on perfectly flat ground. bike has the tendency to roll forward because of design. Only way to make sure you bike doesn't slip and fall, is to personally see the detente lock into place each time you set the bike on the stand. If you don't do this each time, you can only blame yourself when it does fall. The top screw did loosen up once on mine and I noticed it because I make the habit of watching the top of stand set into the detente. If it sets firmly it should support you and a passenger sitting on it.

aka Bob
I have to agree with this reply and I would wager that this was the main cause of your accident. When I park I always make sure that I am in 1st gear even though I know I have to kick it into neutral to start the bike. I am also very deliberate about leaning the bike over onto the kickstand. I do not let go of the bars until I feel it set properly and even give it a deliberate little shove and pull back on the bike to make sure the kickstand is in it's proper position. I also make sure that I turn the forks all the way to the left rather than just letting them go and counting on the front end to turn all the way left. I have left the bike before with the forks not turned all the way and then they settle the rest of the way on their own which causes the bike to move in the forward direction which could cause it to come off the kickstand.

As long as I do the above, my bike feels very secure even in slightly uneven ground I can lean on, sit on it and even sit on it with my passenger also on the back with nothing but the kickstand holding everything up.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Snapdragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't trust mine either. 800 lbs on that stand makes me nervous. I am very deliberate with using it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,710 Likes on 2,745 Posts

The only time I actually run anymore is when my bike is idling on the stand without me on it....THAT'S why it's called a jiffy stand.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put the bike in 1st gear and turn my bars to the left, then push the bike back some to ensure the stand is seated properly before walking away.