General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'ing "Jiffystand" Failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy-bc
Little known fact is that originally it was called the IFFY stand and someone way back started calling it a JIFFY stand and it took.

and that 'someone' prolly rode the short bus... it's a furking kickstand !

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I always "test" it before I get completely off. It always does it's job but it just don't look all that sturdy.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

On my first Harley back in 71, I had my kickstand snap while I has sitting/laying on it.
Had my feet on the HI-way pegs and leaning back into my King/Queen seat at a drive through Frisch's big boy.

Fell into my buddies custom Triumph Bonnie next to me. Thankfully didn't do any major damage at all to either bike.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Was starting my Duo-Glide (kick start only) once and the Jiffy Stand broke, I mean broke in two. Down the bike and I went. I use to start it straddling it instead of from the right side. Fortunately I was in my driveway and a couple of neighbors saw me with the bike on top me in the driveway and came over and got the bike off me.

Not the same thing I know, not even close but need to keep the ole post count up ya know.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
razzoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked and mine does lock, so you CAN park it nose downhill with the bike in neutral. Good to know, but I am not going to do it.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I park mine and leave it in gear is when there is an incline. This part of Texas is mostly flat and once on the kickstand the bike usually doesn't move much. Have seen a few stupid moments where a bike was started in gear and took off with some bad results. I always pull in the clutch and still make sure the bike is in neutral when I light off the engine.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
roaddog rhody
Cruiser

my bike tipped over in my shop last winter...had been parked in same spot for a couple weeks....sitting in the kitchen (shop has a kitchen) drinking a beer and heard a crash. looked out the kitchen door and bike laying on its side. still dont know how it happened. f###d up the gas tank pretty good...cost me a grand to fix everything.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

What I always practice is, when on an incline I try to park with the rear of bike downhill, in other words may have back in to do this. Let gravity hold the bike rearward against stand. Another trick is if you have to park nose downhill, put front tire against curb or engage trans into gear to keep it from rolling and keep weight off stand.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
On my first Harley back in 71, I had my kickstand snap while I has sitting/laying on it.
Had my feet on the HI-way pegs and leaning back into my King/Queen seat at a drive through Frisch's big boy.

Fell into my buddies custom Triumph Bonnie next to me. Thankfully didn't do any major damage at all to either bike.
I'm think'n, one too many Big Boys!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

User error

Quick Reply: F'ing "Jiffystand" Failed