General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'ing "Jiffystand" Failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CSP067
.... you know that little slide forward that makes you hold your breath after you put the stand down?...
Cripes, I thought I was the only one affected by this. I have no confidence that stand will hold when it slides forward after you put weight on it. ugh.

Should be like a big green light that comes on when it's safely locked into position.

Brings up a good point about putting it in 1st when parking it though. Dealer told me to always put it in neutral. Think I'll change that habit.

Last edited by Benway; 12-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to be offensive, but I believe this is one of the first articles I read upon joining HD forums. Park in Neutral? Never have and never would, even if on perfectly flat ground. bike has the tendency to roll forward because of design. Only way to make sure you bike doesn't slip and fall, is to personally see the detente lock into place each time you set the bike on the stand. If you don't do this each time, you can only blame yourself when it does fall. The top screw did loosen up once on mine and I noticed it because I make the habit of watching the top of stand set into the detente. If it sets firmly it should support you and a passenger sitting on it.

aka Bob

Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after reading the post about HD planning on moving the wheel plant to china it makes me wonder where the "kickstand" is made. I have not examined mine to see if it's stamped with a manufacturing location or not.

Does anyone know?

Ride Safe

Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Had mine "try" to fall over once, it was my fault did not have the stand all the way down. Fortunately I was still on it and able to catch it before it went all the way over. Did require some tugging on my part to get back up again.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I always wonder when I engage the jiffy stand if its going to lock in plsvr when it moves forward. Don't trust the damn thing at all. Bought a center stand, problem solved.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
speednut
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lord that has got to be hard to put on a center stand.But if not that is what I want.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by takiniteasy09Ultra
Well after reading the post about HD planning on moving the wheel plant to china it makes me wonder where the "kickstand" is made. I have not examined mine to see if it's stamped with a manufacturing location or not.

Does anyone know?

Ride Safe
oh please. where it's made has no bearing. if you watch that damn thing when you park your bike, you'll never have a problem. unlike some of the metric bikes that have no detent or lock, if you use it properly, it will not fail you. just like everything else, if it fails, look back to what you did, chances are, you probably did something half-assed or in a hurry and it came back to bite you in the ****....

Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It takes such a small down grade to get the bike moving I'm always nervous that most of the time, I put the bike in first and manually push it forward until it stops, then put the stand down and get off.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

When I put my kickstand down, I lean the bike carefully while moving it backwards slightly as the stand contacts. That way I know it's definitely locked. I think the Dyna has the best kickstand system.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't trust it either, so I always make damn sure I park with the front facing uphill - even just with the road camber. Habit I got into from riding bikes with no detent, which would just roll right off the stand without any help at all. Also makes backing 'er up that much easier...

Quick Reply: F'ing "Jiffystand" Failed