General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to GPS World

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Ultra07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to GPS World

I have been researching GPS units for weeks now. Lot's of research, reviews, phone calls, and forum reading. IMO Garmin seems to be the choice of many. I read a lot about the Quest-2, Tom-Tom Rider and Zumo 550, they seem to be at the top of the list. Now to sort out the feed back.

I hear the Tom-Tom Tech Support is worthless, maps are not as good as garmins and simple things like the on-off button is extremely hard to work?

The Quest-2, I hear so much about seems to be a good unit for the most part but I read that the screen size is way to small, annetna is flimsy and the long wait when trying to pull up a POI or even a new route can take as long as 2-3 minutes. It sees to be real slow in getting data on screen.

The Garmin Zumo 550 is so new it's hard to find a real person review but seems to be the best choice hands down.

Is there other models & brands I should be looking at? I'm open to any helpful feed back....

I have a new 07 Ultra Classic and I want to be informed so I can make the best choice.

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Default RE: New to GPS World

I have a quest 2 that I have had on the bike for about 17K miles. Works great. Almost instant POI and routing is reasonable, depending on how long the route. Screen size is good for the bike. I had a Street Pilot prior to this and the large screen/unit was a distraction.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 PM
bosnmate
Banned

The two big names in GPS technology is Garmin and Magellan. I three of them, one is one of the types that have the maps and so forth built in. One is mounted in my truck and interfaces with my laptop and the other is a portable eTrex Legend. The one in the Truck is a Magellan and the other two are Garmin. The Magellan while many years older than my Garmins is much, much superior. I prefer to have the Laptop/GPS combination rather than one of the self contained units. But then again, Laptop/GPS isn't very practical on a scoot!!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Quest (not the 2) and am very happy with it.

It has 115 megs of memory which is more than sufficient unless you are traveling multiple routes across 10 to 15 states. The Mapsource CD is extra with the Quest 2 and you really need it to install on your computer. It's much easier to develop your routes on the computer and then download them to your Quest.

That's what I primarily do. The Quest 2 has all of the US detail street maps already installed. If you are travelling the whole USA or multiple states in one ride, the Quest 2 is probably the better purchase. I have driven rides crossing several states and have been able to get my routes on the Quest so far.

I highly recommend it. I also got the Garmin Quest Mount installed on my Electra Glide. It's easy on/easy off.

The Quest you order from a Garmin dealer is the same one Harley sells, but you can get it much cheaper. I bought mine from GPSDiscount.com. Scott can answer any questions you may have.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultra07

I have been researching GPS units for weeks now. Lot's of research, reviews, phone calls, and forum reading. IMO Garmin seems to be the choice of many. I read a lot about the Quest-2, Tom-Tom Rider and Zumo 550, they seem to be at the top of the list. Now to sort out the feed back.

I hear the Tom-Tom Tech Support is worthless, maps are not as good as garmins and simple things like the on-off button is extremely hard to work?

The Quest-2, I hear so much about seems to be a good unit for the most part but I read that the screen size is way to small, annetna is flimsy and the long wait when trying to pull up a POI or even a new route can take as long as 2-3 minutes. It sees to be real slow in getting data on screen.

The Garmin Zumo 550 is so new it's hard to find a real person review but seems to be the best choice hands down.

Is there other models & brands I should be looking at? I'm open to any helpful feed back....

I have a new 07 Ultra Classic and I want to be informed so I can make the best choice.

Thanks,

Garmin is the king. They have been in the business for generations. http://www.garmin.com/automotive/

Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a side note on Garmin: They also make high tech navigation equipment for aviation, as well as flight directors, and multifunction displays. New Cessna, Piper, Cirrus, and Beechcraft airplanes are being delivered with Garmin 1000 glass cockpits. Magellan also produces some components for aviation, but is a distant sixth or seventh choice behind Garmin and others such as King, Bendix, and other old names in the aviation world. I think that says a lot for Garmin's expertise in producing usuable products. If I can ever justify a GPS, it will probably be a Garmin product.[8D]

Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Goodbirds, I agree with you on Garmin. I've had a Garmin 430 in my Bonanza for
about 8 years and it's as bullet proof as they come. I've also had all the generations
of the handhelds from the Garmin 195 to the 396. They make a great product. If
I ever decide to get one for the bike, it will be a Garmin.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowrance....amazing how many people overlook them.

Think about this. Every single SCORE-International race vehicle runs a Lowrance. What better place to prove your product than the Baja 1000? Those million dollar Trophy Truck Teams and Class 1 cars can use ANY product they want and get sponsored by that company. But They ALL use Lowrance.

I was just at Contingency for the B1K and took note that every single vehicle I looked at was Lowrance equipped. Including the Bikes and Quads.

Take a look at the proffesional Fishing Circuit too...what name is king?

Military uses whatever is cheapest. Don't go by what they use, trust me.

http://www.lowrance.com/

Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe in the boating/fishing arena Lowrance is big, but in aviation Garmin is king.
They are expensive, but they make a very good product. I've never had a problem
with any of their products and couldn't see not using them if I ever felt the need
for a GPS on the bike.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aviation relates to biking how? Other than thier need to have pretty good coordinates. Airplane stuff doesn't get wet, dropped in the sand, left outside for days at a time or has to deal with the pounding that the offroad community does.

1X ran a Lowrance to victory in the B1k. So did Gordon and Mcmillan.

Quick Reply: New to GPS World