General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ft-lb, hp...please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Hey guys...I'm looking to add a second scoot to the stable but don't know what to choose. i want something bigger but I don't want the weight to eat up too much power.

I'm not someone that rides fast but I like sharp acceleration (being quick), fast off the line...
You can punch it up on any bike with your desired "sharp acceleration" with a set of bolt in cams. Pick the bike that matches your riding style and install a set of "bolt-ins" to give you the acceleration your looking for, at the RPM that makes you smile. You could get a bagger and cam it with a simple set of bolt-ins and get a wheelie (small wheelie granted) if you want.

Guess the bigger message here is, you may want to start looking at how to customize your performance.....

Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
The reciprocating weight of the flywheels, rods and pistons along with the long stroke and faster piston speeds at RPM is where the off-idle torque somes from.
The I-4's get the HP from lighter engine parts, slower piston speeds, less heat and higher RPM's...The I-4's go thru the traps with a higher speed compared to the faster 30-ft and 60-ft times by the Twins...Reaction time is also a factor.
The spinning mass of the engine does not factor into torque. This is because dynos measure torque over time which negates the effect of the inertia. If it did you could double the power output of an engine (remember HP is a factor of torque) just by adding a giant fly wheel.

Torque is a factor of displacement as long as breathing efficiency does not become a factor as it does in two valve engines operating at higher rpms. More displacement means more air/fuel mixture can fit in the cyl and the resulting explosion, which drives the engine, will be larger, which translates into more torque at a specified RPM. In idealized engines with no mechanical friction or breathing issues, twice the displacement should translate into twice the torque.

Horsepower (the work the engine can do) is what ultimately accelerates a motorcycle. Torque is what determines the HP at a specified RPM.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Ah, I see...in that case the Fat Bob is the quickest stock.

thanks guys
Your catching on.The reason why big inch motors are so popular,they make big torque because that is the nature of the beast,and why Harley Davidson V-Twins are so popular.Maybe not with the over the pond bike crowd simply because they are a different breed of cat all together.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be the black sheep in the family here--the 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100cc offered around 110 hp w/ 135 ft-lb of torque (please quit sayin lb-ft). That makes it the strongest of any engine at its time--overall--period. Many tried & failed, miserably. Something to note here--see the ft-lb it is well above the hp--slightly different than many engines? Well, if i were a gambling man I'd suppose I could take it (hp) over the torque, considering many high hp engines.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Didn't really want to start this discussion again but torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants. You can NOT feel horsepower.

Horsepower as a unit of measure was determined by James Watt in 1782. By experimentation he determined that a horse could turn a mill wheel 144 times in an hour. Watts developed the horsepower as a unit of measure to use as a marketing tool to sell more steam engines (in a time when horses were still used to perform the majority of work).

Bottom line is - torque is directly measurable, horsepower is not. Horsepower is a mathematically determined number that represents the rate of performing work. As someone already pointed out, it is calculated based on torque. So, when you go to the dyno, the dyno is actually measuring the torque your bike produces and displays that directly. The horsepower curve is calculated by the aforementioned forumla and displayed on the graph.

Sorry, as part of my job I used to teach this crap and I sometimes tend to ramble about it.
Thank you...at least you didn't write "RPMs".

Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Dye
I hate to disagree with you but you can feel horsepower. Horsepower is nothing but a numerical representaton of force being applied over distance and time, or work being done. As soon as an engine starts turning, it is producing horsepower. A low torque, high horsepower engine will accelerate you faster than a high torque, low horsepower engine, give the weight of both vehicles is equal and the gearing allows both engines to be operated in their optimal powerbands. Thats the reason that a stage 2 100/90 torque/hp Harley cuiser won't touch a 80/140 torque/hp Kawasake 1400 Connie in the quarter. High acceleration, or work being done (horsepower), you can feel.
Well, your statement "Horsepower is nothing but a numerical representaton of force being applied over distance and time, or work being done" is absolutely correct, and also proves you wrong on two counts. The "force" you are referring to is rotational force or torque. That's what you feel - not horsepower. And, just as you said, horsepower is the rate at which work is done. You can NOT feel work. The only thing you can actually feel is the applied force (torque) that causes work to happen. That being said, I stand by my original statement.

Oh, I just thought of an example that we use when we teach the difference between applied force and work. If you push on a wall with your arms, you can feel the force you are applying to the wall in your arms. However, the wall isn't going to move so there is no work performed. If no work is performed the only thing you can possibly feel is the force you've applied to the wall.

Last edited by FBFletch; 12-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Wow,, I just leaned the most in here dont' know chit about TQ and dont know where to look to find the answer.

TQ is when U take a pi$$ with a hard-on in the morning and Ur feet fly out backwards when U push it down....

Last edited by oct1949; 12-12-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Well, your statement "Horsepower is nothing but a numerical representaton of force being applied over distance and time, or work being done" is absolutely correct, and also proves you wrong on two counts. The "force" you are referring to is rotational force or torque. That's what you feel - not horsepower. And, just as you said, horsepower is the rate at which work is done. You can NOT feel work. The only thing you can actually feel is the applied force (torque) that causes work to happen. That being said, I stand by my original statement.

Oh, I just thought of an example that we use when we teach the difference between applied force and work. If you push on a wall with your arms, you can feel the force you are applying to the wall in your arms. However, the wall isn't going to move so there is no work performed. If no work is performed the only thing you can possibly feel is the force you've applied to the wall.
When they dyno a bike they measure torque at points throughout the rev range. Horsepower is then calculated for each engine speed that torque was measured at. HP and torque are curves on a graph that vary with RPM, not single figures like peak HP and peak torque. Because HP is dependent on how fast the engine is running, peak HP may occur at a faster engine speed than peak torque. HP is a measurement of how much work the engine can do and the value used to calculate how fast the bike can accelerate. That is why when you want to accelerate quickly you keep the engine at an RPM where peak HP and not peak torque is produced by shifting.

HP = ( torque X RPM ) / 5252

An engine that produced huge torque, say 200ft/lbs at a max engine speed of 2000 RPM would only produce 75 peak horsepower. An engine that produced torque of 75ft/lbs at a maximum engine speed of 10000RPM would produce a peak of 142HP and be twice as powerful and a lot faster. This is why we have transmissions.

If you were forced to shift both engines at 2000RPM though it would be another matter. The first engine is generating 75HP at this speed but the second engine could be producing as little as 15HP at this speed.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-17-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The spinning mass of the engine does not factor into torque. This is because dynos measure torque over time which negates the effect of the inertia. If it did you could double the power output of an engine (remember HP is a factor of torque) just by adding a giant fly wheel.

Torque is a factor of displacement as long as breathing efficiency does not become a factor as it does in two valve engines operating at higher rpms. More displacement means more air/fuel mixture can fit in the cyl and the resulting explosion, which drives the engine, will be larger, which translates into more torque at a specified RPM. In idealized engines with no mechanical friction or breathing issues, twice the displacement should translate into twice the torque.

Horsepower (the work the engine can do) is what ultimately accelerates a motorcycle. Torque is what determines the HP at a specified RPM.
Can you build an HD B-T motor that spins 15,000-rpm? When you do you will live a comfrotable life...I'm not being a wise guy here, but it hasn't been done yet and if you can get to 15,000-rpm there will be plenty of HP when you get there!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Horsepower = how fast your going when you hit the brick wall.........
Torque = how far through the brick wall you travel after you hit it....

Quick Reply: ft-lb, hp...please help