General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will A Fork Brake Make a Noticable Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will A Fork Brake Make a Noticable Difference?

I put one on a '97 WG because I got it real cheap, like $40. Didn't seem to make any differance that I could tell.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dragonsoni

I would say the fender already acts a brace as does the triple trees.

Dragonsoni.
Not really. If you have a Dyna or Sporty, go out and hold your tire steady between your knees while standing facing the bike. Now push hard on the bars. You be surprised at how much the front end will twist. The front fender will bend and the tip will swing like a pendulum an inch plus in either direction from the center of the tire.

Fork braces work great if you are a hard rider. The help a lot with taking out the shimmy in hard braking, especially if you have a model with a single disc front brake.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Brace creats a rigid box between the axel and the brace, The shocks are held from going up at slighty different rates when you take a hard hit (rough road etc) Without a brace your axel flexes slightly on a rough surface.......When this flexing is stoped, You have more control and the bike handles better. I've had my brace for about two years and i think it makes a difference. And I love the way it looks.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MY Brace

[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/42085C7DBEBF4FCC9F6A0D06E28D388C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jetstream

Thanks... I'm planning to. Suspension aside, do the fork braces make a noticeable difference in handling?
Personally I think it's what & how you ride.
The bigger bikes have no need for the brace.HDWG felt no difference on his bike,but he has a Wide Glide.
The smaller bikes like the Lowriders & Sporters are where you might feel a difference,,,,,especially if you ride it like you stole it all the time,,,,,,,,,JMO here,but that's how I see the usefulness of the brace
I would think putting in Progressive springs in your forks is the way to go first.You should definately feel a difference there.I think a set is like $80 bucks

Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on getting one - I like the looks and can justify it as a functional upgrade on my dwg. Hopefully it functions..

Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I am considering adding an SE Fork Brace to my '07 Dyna. I already have ordered Progressive 440 rear shocks and fork springs and am wondering whether the fork braces are worth the additional expense. Thanks!
Looks like somebody likes the twistys . Well you got the bike for it ( I looked thru your posts FXD Custom right ? ).
Harley upped the fork Dia. in 06? ( 49mm?) vs 39mm previously used as in my 00 fxd.
I wonder why they did that , was the old sportster legs a little week with the heavier fxd .
I always felt so .
You may be rigid enough without it , if not you'll know by how much pucker you get from overcookin the curves .

I plan on upgrading my suspension next yr and it will have a fork brace .

Now who sells exhaust bracket skid plates ?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride the snot out of my 1200c and I'm a cow - never noticed the shimmy or wobble - but might cast somethin slick like anyhow

Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

If you really want to make a dramatic improvement in your bike's handling and front suspension action, install a set of Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. If your weight is within the correct range for your stock fork springs, I would reuse them and forego replacing them. If it isn't, replacing the springs with the correct spring rate is never going to be easier to do than while you have the forks apart for the emulators.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 AM
00glider
Cruiser

Shocks, springs, and valves are expensive changes. I'm sure many are happy with those changes.

I put a SuperBrace on my 00 FXDWG, and it definetely made a difference.
Better design than the HD unit. Two piece, 5 bolts. Solid. I know it keeps those wide forks from twisting so much in the curves, and it reduces front end wobbles by a lot. I ride it hard in the curves, and it's a whole lot better.

Another thing to concider, that you definately need to change over time is tires. Don't underestimate what they can do. I suggest you Also, get rid of those stock tires and put some Metzler's on it. Those are the best handling improvement I have found for the money.

Quick Reply: Will A Fork Brake Make a Noticable Difference?