General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, do I really sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh, do I really sell it?

I have a major dilemma on my hands. My son is about to turn 8 and infatuated with motorcycles. I have enough equity in my bike (almost paid off) to sell and buy us each a brand new Honda trail bike (CFR150F, CRF50F), so that we can spend the summer riding together.

I have wanted a Harley since I was a kid and waited til I was 40 to do it responsibly with a family. I want to cry thinking about selling, but I can always come back later.

I am not sure if I can swing keeping it and getting the MX bikes.

Ugh, what to do....

Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dirt/Enduros are cheap enough slightly used. In the last few years I bought an XL600 for under a grand, an XR250 with less than 3k on the bike for 1300 and an old Mini-Trail 50 for only $60 (needs some work). Keep yours and look around. BTW, my wife has a CRF230 and loves it, the CRFs are good bikes.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can always buy another Harley. Your kid, will only be a kid once. Good luck

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,857 Likes on 19,337 Posts

My two boys and I had some fabulous times when they were young ( they're 40 years old now ) riding dirt bikes. Remember it's a big investment in future memories. If it was my call ( and it isn't ) I'd sure consider a hiatus from the HD world for the great memories that you'll have in later years .... and remember you could cash out on your HD, pick up a couple of "gently used" dirt bikes and maybe still have enough jingle to pick up an HD that needs a little TLC ... just a thought! Good luck with your decision Brother.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
I have a major dilemma on my hands. My son is about to turn 8 and infatuated with motorcycles. I have enough equity in my bike (almost paid off) to sell and buy us each a brand new Honda trail bike (CFR150F, CRF50F), so that we can spend the summer riding together.

I have wanted a Harley since I was a kid and waited til I was 40 to do it responsibly with a family. I want to cry thinking about selling, but I can always come back later.

I am not sure if I can swing keeping it and getting the MX bikes.

Ugh, what to do....
I started riding dirtbikes around that age as a kid and it was a blast for sure. But your choice is a tough one to be honest and it all comes down to a rough decision. If it was my choice though honestly keep the Harley and pick up some good used condition dirt/trail bikes. Keep an eye out on craigslist, etc the 50 shouldn't break the bank but the 150 will be a little more pricey (06's I have seen go for $1200-$1500) in good shape. Also shop around for new if you really want a new one and see how much it would cost you a month for a loan for the two. Normally most shops will give you a better deal on buying two at once vs. one.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate all of the responses, just nice to get some outside opinions. I am pretty set on the MX bikes for me and the kid, so I will find a way regardless. My real hope is that corporate kicks some nice bonuses this year and I can pull it all off.

I think the memories will be priceless, this is a great age to have a son, he is ready to do some fun stuff.

My main thought on new CRF's, I am not much of a wrench, and I think brand new Honda 4 strokes will be almost bullet proof.

Thanks all...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

My whole family rode when I was growing up. Those are the best memories a boy could have. I just picked up my 12 yr old twins an 07 Suzuki DR-Z125L last night that looked brand new for 1300, w/ a bunch of gear. Seen a lot of 04 Yamaha 125's in the 500-700 range. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find some affordable play bikes out there. Maybe (if you can swing it) get him something and once he's a better rider, get yourself a bike or 4 wheeler to putt around w/ him.

You can always get yourself another Harley. He's only gonna be a kid once!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Quite the dilemma. But I think it's obvious you NEED to make this happen somehow. Start saving up. We're just about to go pick up a Suzuki rms 85 for my 12 year old daughter. They were asking 700, we offered 500 cash and they took it. Start looking around for used. There IS a way to have your cake and eat it too. It may take a year, but it can happen. At the very least, get his first. At least you can start showing him the ropes on it and let him put around nearby while you watch until you get yours. In the end, it will be one of the greatest investments you can have. All of the great memories made for you both. Good luck!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

There are tons and tons of used dirtbikes for sale. Find 2 of them, fix em up and go ride. Keep your bike and call it a day.

My girls and Mrs love ATV's, so there are 4 used ATV's and a used trailer in my current stable now. Sure, it takes some work to find them, get them all up to spec and ready for the woods, but it is definitly worth it.

Spending time with the kids in the garage and showing them how to wrench on thier rides is almost as much fun as the time we spend together riding in the woods ( plus my girls think it's priceless to be able to tell the boys at their school that they actually ride and can work on thier own quads! ).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like was said there are alot of used dirt bikes priced good so think about that. I started rding off road when I was 6 and have loved bikes ever since-I'm almost 34 now. Get the kid on a bike and he will have a life long love for them.

Quick Reply: Ugh, do I really sell it?