General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, do I really sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used is the way to go, the crf's are bullet proof, the yammi TTR series are good also and have electric and kick start.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Lambo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the DRZ 400 we picked up for $2300.

Attached Thumbnails Ugh, do I really sell it?-drzvtx-011.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Refinance the bike and put the equity in your pocket to pay cash for the dirt bikes.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

As has been said before your son will only be young once. You have a great opportunity to spend some quality time with him now that will help him build his character, and teach him things that he would never otherwise learn.

I would keep the Harley, and save the money that you would use for your payment once the bike is paid of to find some cheap used dirt bikes. Put a couple of bucks in them fixing them up, ride em like they should be, and save up more cash to buy something better if you bother enjoy it that much.

Bottom line, be the great dad that you are, and enjoy your son.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Thank all of your for the input, found a happy medium for now. I got a great deal on a 2008 Polaris Outlaw 90 cc quad for the kid. I just picked it up last week and we have had several fun rides so far. I am not very big, so we can ride together. I wanted to get him used to a motorized vehicle, before he has to worry about a clutch and shifting gears.

I will have my bike paid off in about 18 months, then will see if we dump the quad for MX bikes, or i get a quad to ride with him.

The smile on his face is priceless...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
I did start looking on Craigslist and found a few, but do I want someone else's problem?
I'm not sure that you are buying someone else's problem.

With the economy the way it has been, people are getting rid of stuff that they don't use....or simply don't need.

A better guess is that you are buying something that someone else thought they would use, but are now selling to pay the rent or electric bill!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucero1
I'm not sure that you are buying someone else's problem.

With the economy the way it has been, people are getting rid of stuff that they don't use....or simply don't need.

A better guess is that you are buying something that someone else thought they would use, but are now selling to pay the rent or electric bill!
I think that may be true more often than not these days, good call.

I was very fortunate though. My dad lives in a farm town in Iowa, and some of those guys have a LOT of money. A drinkin buddy of his runs the VanWall powersports and John Deere dealer in town. One of the "rich" farm dudes traded this in for next to nothing, as his grand kid was ready for a bigger one. OTD for under $900

Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya don't sell dude, you should be able to pick up two used bikes for you guys for under $1,500 for sure, and probably quite a bit cheaper. My son is 2 and is over the moon about motorcycles, he will get his first next summer, and I will be looking to pick up a dirt bike to take him out trail riding as he gets older. BUT FOR GODS SAKE DONT SELL THE HARLEY!!

Just read the last posts, good on you man for finding a way to make it work.

Last edited by Skid Lid; 03-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser

Keep the HD and buy a couple cheap used dirt bikes. You and you son can learn to fix them together. It will be a skill he will value for the rest of his life.

Have you asked your son if you should sell the HD? I'll bet he'll say no. I'll bet he is hoping that someday you'll give it to him.

When I was a kid I bought a used dirt bike (Suzuki 90) with my own money from mowing lawns and shoveling snow. That bike was my most prized possession and I rode the wheels off it. Because I put every penny I had into it I made sure I took care of it and maintained it properly. And I took pride in the fact that I bought it myself, nobody gave it to me.

I know we live in a different world now where parents buy their kids everything. I wouldn't tell you how to raise your kid but I would suggest that you find something you and your kid can do together to help pay for the bikes. Maybe buy some cheap bikes that need a little work, shop manuals, tools and you and your kid can fix them up.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Keep the HD and buy a couple cheap used dirt bikes. You and you son can learn to fix them together. It will be a skill he will value for the rest of his life.

Have you asked your son if you should sell the HD? I'll bet he'll say no. I'll bet he is hoping that someday you'll give it to him.

When I was a kid I bought a used dirt bike (Suzuki 90) with my own money from mowing lawns and shoveling snow. That bike was my most prized possession and I rode the wheels off it. Because I put every penny I had into it I made sure I took care of it and maintained it properly. And I took pride in the fact that I bought it myself, nobody gave it to me.

I know we live in a different world now where parents buy their kids everything. I wouldn't tell you how to raise your kid but I would suggest that you find something you and your kid can do together to help pay for the bikes. Maybe buy some cheap bikes that need a little work, shop manuals, tools and you and your kid can fix them up.

Yeah, I am a bit old school too, had to work for everything. My kid paid for 1/3 of it on his own with money saved from Birthdays, Christmas and doing chores. I know he will appreciate it more since he has some of his own cash in it.

We put in the new battery together the other day, now looking at some new rear tires. I will say, he acted pretty excited about putting in the battery, think he is on the right path.

Thanks to all for any constructive criticism, pointers, advice and shared stories.

Quick Reply: Ugh, do I really sell it?