General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, do I really sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Cheap used dirt bike... He is going to drop it and have fun doing it. I started even youger and dropping it was fun as you feel no pain at that age.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Oh and I will be the dissenter on used 4 stroke mx bikes, I wouldn't buy one cause I know how they get ridden and how they don't get taken care of. If it was a 2 stroke used, go for it they take nothing to fix but if something lets go on those bikes(4 valve CRF 250 450) it is usually fatal and expensive.
I agree. The 4 stroke Honda has valve issues. The only thing bad about two stroke is he has to be on the pipe all the time. Or it will foul the plug. So the kid is going to be riding at riding speed and he's going to have to blast ahead turn around and come back.don't ask me how I know. Been there. A used xl250 or CRF 250 should go cheap. Guy at work just bought xl for 400 dollars

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,082 Likes on 12,187 Posts

I vote used dirt bikes too. Dirt cheap (pun intended) and you don't feel bad when you drop them. You and the kid can be riding for $2000 easily. Don't feel like you need the latest greatest.

I've had tons of Honda and Suzuki 4 strokes. Never had an issue.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely there must be a way to keep the Harley and find one or two tatty dirt bikes to get going on...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I vote used dirt bikes too. Dirt cheap (pun intended) and you don't feel bad when you drop them. You and the kid can be riding for $2000 easily. Don't feel like you need the latest greatest.

I've had tons of Honda and Suzuki 4 strokes. Never had an issue.
Although you may never had issues, the CRF 250 has a light weight, very high performance power plant that has a SHORT service life and needs attention at short intervals or they will be very problematic if used as designed. Now if the bike was used to trail ride and maintained properly and then I may consider one in a non-mx(desert trail etc) use. The 450 is better but when either mill lets go it's pretty impressive! The older 4 strokes were pretty solid as they were nowhere near the performance level that these newer 4 valve hot rod mx engines are. I agree with getting an older less modern(lower seat height as well) mount for a starter bike.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd say get used dirt bikes and keep the harley. I loved riding on the back of my dad's harley as a kid.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,082 Likes on 12,187 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Although you may never had issues, the CRF 250 has a light weight, very high performance power plant that has a SHORT service life and needs attention at short intervals or they will be very problematic if used as designed.
Naturally there are bikes out there that are as you described. I have a KTM RFS and I would not recommend it to the casual rider due to the service intervals. He should do a little homework over on ADV or Thumpertalk to find the right bike for he and his kid. I'm only saying that I wouldn't rule out 4 strokes in general. I'm thinking something like a DRZ for him and pretty much any Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha 4 stroke kids trail bike for the 8 year old.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
I have a major dilemma on my hands. My son is about to turn 8 and infatuated with motorcycles. I have enough equity in my bike (almost paid off) to sell and buy us each a brand new Honda trail bike (CFR150F, CRF50F), so that we can spend the summer riding together.

I have wanted a Harley since I was a kid and waited til I was 40 to do it responsibly with a family. I want to cry thinking about selling, but I can always come back later.

I am not sure if I can swing keeping it and getting the MX bikes.

Ugh, what to do....
Two bits of advice

Buy slightly used. I bought a Blaster with 4 hours use for 2/3 of new. I bought a brand new Honda ATV and took a beating.

You don't say where you are. Consider where are you going to ride it. Land is closing up all the time. Riding areas are hard to come by. Your own property is probably too small, and other private or public property will get you in trouble GUARANTEED. If you have no where to ride legally forget it. That's what drove me out of ATV's and into motorcycles

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Naturally there are bikes out there that are as you described. I have a KTM RFS and I would not recommend it to the casual rider due to the service intervals. He should do a little homework over on ADV or Thumpertalk to find the right bike for he and his kid. I'm only saying that I wouldn't rule out 4 strokes in general. I'm thinking something like a DRZ for him and pretty much any Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha 4 stroke kids trail bike for the 8 year old.
You are correct on that bike choice. For me I will never own another 4 valve 4 stroke Japanese mx bike again. 2 stroke only for me, Service Honda AF500 , it's my dream bike!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Sell the Harley, buy trail bikes and spend time with your boy. Before you know it he'll be grown and out on his own. The fondest memories I have of my (now grown) daughter are the times she and I spent the day together having fun.

Quick Reply: Ugh, do I really sell it?