General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

j&s vs pitt bull motorcycle lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought J&S only for the oil drain pan option.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at both before buying, my conclusions:

1) Both excellent quality lifts.

2) J&S smaller footprint.

3) J&S, higher weight lifting limit. Like in a truck or vehicle, this is important as to design and overall strength.

4) The zerks on the Pitbull, absolutely no issue for me.

5) Both have excellent materials throughout.

6) The extra six inches lifting of the Pitbull, absolutely not needed by me.

7) The J&S costs a lot less.

8) The oil removal pan on the J&S, excellent design.

10) Customer service at J&S has been excellent from the sales stage to the assembly and use stages.

Absolutely nothing against Pitbull...nada! Just went with the J&S based on the details stated above.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil drain pan is just that, a pan that routes oil to a collection point. Hardly worth $32. Lift weight is the same, they both use 6 ton jacks. I imagine Pitbull just lists lower so people aren't blowing seals or using their jack for what is NOT designed to do, like lifting a car (search for it and you will see what happened) J&S didn't survive it! Customer service is subjective. If it is not needed (few reports of PB problems) how can you say its not the same as the one that IS used?

I will give you a few of your points, but the lifting height WAS worth it for me. The money I saved on not buying the drain pan gimmick and a handle made the price exactly the same.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Both Jacks are Winners ... Went with J&S here and had every Harley Family Made on it at one or the other except the V Rod ..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
twincambill
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, thanks for the excellant replies guys...tending to lean toward the pitt bull...with free shipping the prices seem to be about the same.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good stuff about both on here. A friend has the Pitbull, really likes it. As a demonstration, he lifted his RK, then climbed up and mounted it, no hesitation.

I would never have done that on the cheap little Harbor Freight or similar jack I had that I gave away...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read my post again when I came back to read new posts. I didn't mean to come off the way I did. I was VERY close to pulling the J&S but there were a few things that did matter to me. The lifting height being the number one. I actually went and sat on my stool next to my bike with the stool at its highest height. I then measured to see where each jack would put the bike in relation to the tranny cover and front wheel. I would have to lower my stool to use the J&S. While not a huge issue, I don't feel like the price difference was so great to NOT have the height. The second was the larger foot print (common sense and physics says it should be more stable) and while it may not be noticed, its still piece of mind. The last was the grease zerks. Are they needed........probably not but they will only help the lift last that IMO. I also like the width of the Dyna model rails to make it easier to work under the bike, not a deal breaker but it is different. I liked the larger wheels as well, again physics say the larger the wheel the easier to roll.

So while my reasons are not huge, they far outweighed the price difference. If you add the drain pan (i can rig my oil catch) and the handle the price is a wash with the free shipping from Pitbull.

Both are in complete other leagues over all other jacks/competitors.