General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzler Reviews ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metzler Reviews ?

I just put one on the front 19 in. wheel on my '05 XL 1200 Roadster. I went from stock 90/90 to 110/90. It was a tight squeeze but works. Nice increase in cornering ability and stability. I'm impressed. Here in Southern Nevada, we don't have much opportunity to try them in the rain, but have run across some lawn irrigation water at street corners. Feels good. I'm just sorry that I had already replaced the OEMs on my Road King Classic with OEM Dunlops and didn't consider Metzelers at that time.

My new 110/90 is marked "Made in Brazil". After I noticed that, I did some checking on the Internet. Best that I can tell only a few m/c tires made for Metrics are still being made in Germany by Metzeler. All the rest of their production is being moved to Brazil. ........ BC

Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree....only done bout 150 miles so far but man what a nice change

ORIGINAL: Scout

George, they are the best tires I've had on my bike so far. Like Clammy said.

Joe

Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

Hello One Terrific Hog, I went through your picture collection to look at your tires and they don't look very tall. Are they a size other than stock?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Think i will try a Metzler too, thanks for the information.
KeithB

I just ordered (and received) a set of Metzler's for my FXDLI. Because of some HELPFUL advice on the forum, I ordered them from Ron Ayers Motorsports. The service was great and the prices were the lowest I found. The HD dealer is going to put them on next week and (surprisingly) said they would do it for the same labor charge they would get for putting on their own Dunflops.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

I just put one on the front 19 in. wheel on my '05 XL 1200 Roadster. I went from stock 90/90 to 110/90. It was a tight squeeze but works. Nice increase in cornering ability and stability. I'm impressed. Here in Southern Nevada, we don't have much opportunity to try them in the rain, but have run across some lawn irrigation water at street corners. Feels good. I'm just sorry that I had already replaced the OEMs on my Road King Classic with OEM Dunlops and didn't consider Metzelers at that time.

My new 110/90 is marked "Made in Brazil". After I noticed that, I did some checking on the Internet. Best that I can tell only a few m/c tires made for Metrics are still being made in Germany by Metzeler. All the rest of their production is being moved to Brazil. ........ BC
Whats the largest front and rear tire you can put on an 05 1200C stock rim and still fit under the fenders. Someone mentioned the stock front tire being unstable on a grooved road. we came to a section of road that had been scarified and prepped for tar and I was all over the road trying to keep my ride stable.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
nidan
Road Warrior

I've had 3 sets of Metzelers , they have always been great . The ME880's are among the best tires out there

Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

See my metzler's... I won't get a chance to test them out fully until next riding season, just got my bike back a few days ago and it is freezin' here.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Sportshot
Cruiser

I have a 00 Standard and an07 SG. The 00 has Metzlers and to me is far better handling than the 07. Metzlers do not track grooved pavement like the Dunlops do. I take turns on riding each bike and the 07 wanders all over when you have grroved roads. I find the low speed stability is better with the Metzlers too. The tire profile seems to give a larger contact patch.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

Lothar: I wish I could answer you with a positive answer, but I can't. Your Custom has a 21 inch. dia. wheel. My Roadster had a 19 inch dia. by 2.15 inch. rim. I replaced that with a 19 inch dia. by 2.5 inch rim. On the new rim I mounted a Metzeler M880 in 110/90. That is the absolute maximum that is going to fit under the stock fender. As I mentioned before, there is barely 1/16 inch clearance on each side between the fender mount strap and the widest part of the tire. Also, I had to remove the fender totally to mount the new tire/wheel combo into place; and then replace the fender over the tire and bolt up thru the spokes. .............. BC

I have returned to also mention to you that your Custom will take a 19 inch dia. wheel on which we know a 110/90 M880 Metzeler will fit. There are some 19 inch. 40 spoke wheels with hubs suitable for dual brake disc rotors available on eBay right now. They are being advertised as suitable for Dynas, but upto '06 the narrow Glide front end was identical to a Sportsters. The bearing are the same at 3/4 inch dia. To use one of these wheels on your Custom all you have to do is to fill in the tapped screw holes on the right side of the hub with the suitable machine screw and that is for aesthetics only. The overall diameter of a 21 inch wheel with a 90/90 tire and the same of a 19 inch wheel with a 110/90 differ by only about a 1/4 inch. Pretty much insignificant.

IMHO, the handling characteristics of the Custom is improved enormously in going to the 19 wheel with the larger cross-section tire. ....... BC