Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD sold me a bike with a state lien on it!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
trustme530
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD sold me a bike with a state lien on it!!

Needs some help! I purchased a bike from our local Harley dealer back in Sept of 2011. I went threw Harley Corporation for my loan. After months of trying to get it titled in my name I find out today that there is a lien from the state of Indiana on the title that has been on the title since 2008. Bunch of BS to me, any ideas of what to do... contacting an attorney tomorrow! Any suggestions????

Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by trustme530
Needs some help! I purchased a bike from our local Harley dealer back in Sept of 2011. I went threw Harley Corporation for my loan. After months of trying to get it titled in my name I find out today that there is a lien from the state of Indiana on the title that has been on the title since 2008. Bunch of BS to me, any ideas of what to do... contacting an attorney tomorrow! Any suggestions????

Ask your attorney for a rather large free upgrade.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am no attorney but why don't you go back to the dealership and let them try and get it resolved. They should have known the bike had a lien when they took the bike in for trade (I am assuming this). If you can find out from the State the amount of the lien, you should make the dealership pay it with any fees etc. and what other paperwork you would need to satisfy the lien. The State should then release the bike for you to transfer title. Attorneys cost too much. I would do what you can and then go to an attorney. My two cents.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,337 Likes on 2,527 Posts

i don't know how indiana works it, but here in la, unless the bike is paid for, you don't get a title. and i'm guessing that since you financed your bike it isn't paid for yet.

are you saying you can't get the bike registered because of this lien? if you've got the tags then i would work it through eaglemark and the dealer to get it fixed. unless you're planning on selling the bike in the next couple of weeks, you've got plenty of time.

i don't think i would be enlisting the aid of an attorney just yet, but then i don't have the money to just throw around either. that would be my last resort.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Also, as a last resort I would contact the Harley dealership you purchased the bike from and tell them you will not only take them to court but will be contacting the local media to inform the public that they sell bikes with prior liens and will not assist in rectifying the problem. That should get a fire underneath them.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

SO, I assuming you bought the sled outright, because that is the only way you can get a title in your name.

Have you spoken to the dealer? Common sense would tell you to contact them and explain what you're trying to do.

Not enough info provided...

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

I would also look at this site. It may help or not.

http://search.dmv.org/dmv/indiana/lien-release

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
chap!
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all down to the dealer to sort out! Just go back down, explain the situation & let them sort it all out! Don't know if the Law is totally different over there? But over here, one of the 'main' reasons to buy from a dealer, is your totally covered for this kind of thing, buying private, then its down to the buyer alone!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't feed the trolls!! When you finance most anything, the bank does a title search, to check for just such things. If there was a lien, it would be on the title, ever bought a vehicle before?

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 12-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care what your name is, I don't trust you "trustme530".

Quick Reply: HD sold me a bike with a state lien on it!!