General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD sold me a bike with a state lien on it!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Must be snowing in Indiana already.....

Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Amenraa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI, when you finance any kind of vehicle the bank lending the money to you places a lien on the title. This ensures that they will be paid off to keep the "owner" from selling the property and then defaulting on the note.

No state will release a title until the lien holder notifies them that the security instrument is paid in full. When you purchase a vehicle the dealership does all that paperwork in order to obtain a registration certificate which allows the vehicle owner to obtain a tag to drive the vehicle.

The OP stated he/she used Harley to finance the purchase, so no title will be issues till paid in full.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trustme530
Needs some help! I purchased a bike from our local Harley dealer back in Sept of 2011. I went threw Harley Corporation for my loan. After months of trying to get it titled in my name I find out today that there is a lien from the state of Indiana on the title that has been on the title since 2008. Bunch of BS to me, any ideas of what to do... contacting an attorney tomorrow! Any suggestions????
Hi, I'm from Indiana, go pay your atty how ever much the amount to write the Harley Davidson dealer a letter on his letterhead, and have the atty ask the dealer how to resolve this issue.
There are several options on this issue.
Of course having it sent certified mail shows they received it.
Talk is cheap, they might give you the run-around at this stage of the game, then you will have to get the atty anyway.
Thousands of dollars are at stake here, don't play around with talking to the dealer or the company, HAVE the atty do the talking,
This is a legal issue here have the legal professional deal with it.

Hope I made my point here!

thanks, and good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Well the OP hasn't been back so I assume he's in the bathroom with a handfull of Kleenex enjoying the 23 (oops, 24) responses he managed to get from us all.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
2 things come to mind:
1. The OP bought a used bike from a dealer and financed with HD and has not yet been able to get it titled? Does not make sense.
2. The OP has not responded to any questions so he must have resolved the problem already. Perfect.
3. See below
Originally Posted by Fat_Boy

Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
FXDXJimmy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nytryder
Must be snowing in Indiana already.....
not yet...

Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
trustme530
Stage II
Default Wow some peps have a job!!!

I didnt come here to this forum to be batched by idiots! I do have a job and dont spend my whole day on the computer unlike some others evidentally! Wow! All in all... thank you to those who seem to have patience for a reply and can reply with out making their selves look ignorant. NO it has not been resolved. I purchased the bike through HD.(no is was not a brand new bike, yes it did belong to HD) Financed through HD. Was told the title was clean. Paper work finalized. Here in Indiana we take the paper work to the BMV and this is when it all started. I have been trying for 3 months now to get plates and title to only be told that this bike has had a lien on it since 2008. Lien is from the state of Indiana...there for the lien is either child support or back taxes. I did not purchase my bike for it to sit in my garage and not be able to ride it when ever I want!!! HD is telling me they are trying to figure out why there is a lien on there now and why there wasnt at time of my purchase...sounds like they are looking for a way out...just going to wait it out till friday and then talk with an attorney....
p.s... thank you for the suggestion for a letter head letter from attorney to HD....

Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
toprat
Cruiser

make them fuggers at the hd dealer hook you up with a temp tag until they get it all straight, then at least you can put some miles on that sucker

Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,341 Likes on 8,408 Posts

Bring the bike to me. I can get it titeled.

Quick Reply: HD sold me a bike with a state lien on it!!