General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King and Pipes... Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Stogie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King and Pipes... Help me decide

I'm planning on installing a 2 into 1 on my 05 RKC. I like the look.....
I've seen several of these set-ups at Thunder Beach in Panama City over the years and I (imo) think they look good.
I've had good luck with V&H Long Shots and I thought that they looked good.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Stogie

Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
scarygt
Road Master

So you have had longshots on your rk? They will sound exactly the same as a softail (same motor) right?? I remember just loving hearing my buddy's longshots... But i can't really remember if they were too loud while doing highway traveling.

I almost always ride two up with my wife so her liking the pipes are important... I love loud, but she will eventually hate them. I usually put 200 to 300 miles a day on my current bike during each weekend and maybe 100 a day during the week... In the last two seasons I've put 22K miles on my Boulevard... so I really drive as often as I can. If I'm not under WOT the Longshots won't make me or her go deaf will they?

And do you know of somewhere where I can hear a sound byte of the longshots... V&H don't have the byte. I'm also interested in hearing the ThunderHeaders and the Rhineharts true duals.. where could I find sound bytes of those.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You should ask GMONEY220 how did he build that true duals array using Thunderheaders, Looks killing and must sound awesome.

I have the 2-1 Thunderheaders, but for the baggers, nothing gets any better than true duals.

Regards.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
baron3547
Cruiser

I will give you some reasons to get THUNDERHEADERS:

If you like hearing "neat popping and whiz zip noises in between shifts" and want loud bad-*** pipes. THUNDERHEADERS are the only way to go.

If you love it when everybody is looking to see what the hell is coming around the corner,...and it is you and your Thunderheaders!

With just a slight blip of the throttle you can make Thunderheaders talk, growl, whine and scream!...at 90 miles an hour or at 5 miles an hour.

Thunderheaders don't idle, they GROWL!

Everytime I ride with someone new they always ask me how I make my pipes "talk".

Thunderheaders are fun, fun, fun!

Thunderheaders are the best pipe if you like to "show off". (just keeping it real)

You can buy Thunderheaders with a falsee pipe to maintain the dual look.

I like my Thunderheaders for the type of riding I do, around town or no further than 200 miles one way. I have kids so the wife and I can't go far and stay out late.

Reasons that you might not like the Thunderheader:

If you like to tour on your bike, Thunderheaders are loud for the people behind you. Unless you have friends like I do, who like to hear bad *** pipes and show off.

You might not want the Thunderheaders if you like to listen to your radio.

Thunderheaders are not the best looking pipe. But they are made for performance not looks.

You have to get the heat shield to cover the bluing of the pipe.

There are alot of different pipes that are nice sounding and performing. But the Thunderheader suits my style at this time in my life. I'm 40 years young.

Whenever the day comes when I can tour on my bike, then and only then will I consider changing my Thunderheaders.

Thunderheaders aren't made, they are born!

I hope my experience with Thunderheaders is helpful to you.

Ride Safe!

ORIGINAL: scarygt

I'm going to be getting a RK Classic this winter and I'll do full exhaust, breather, and ecu upgrade right off the bat. My question to you is this: What do you folks think about doing pipes on just one side of the Road King? My buddy had the longshots on his Heritage Softail and I swear it was the best sounding pipes that i've ever heard on a hd... was real loud when you wanted it to be.. it made all kinds of neat popping and whiz zip noises in between shifts! For some reason I like those pipes sounds better than any that I've heard; the only problem is that I'd lose the dual pipe look. I'm not against the idea of losing that dual look, but at the same time I think pipes on one side might make the bike look uneven.

Are there any dual pipes that sound as good as the longshots? How about the BigShots dual setup??? I've listened to a bunch of sound bytes and I'm thinking that my exhaust decision is going to be the most difficult one that I make.

Come on guys / gals help me decide on the exhaust, Ralph

Old 12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since you asked for opinions.....tourers should have pipes on both sides, anything else just looks odd, never seen one that I liked. If you want to have pipes on one side, why not buy a softail? It will look much better with that style of pipe setup and depending on the model (ie: Heritage, Standard, etc) will look good with or without bags. Just my opinion

Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: baron3547

I will give you some reasons to get THUNDERHEADERS:

If you like hearing "neat popping and whiz zip noises in between shifts" and want loud bad-*** pipes. THUNDERHEADERS are the only way to go.

If you love it when everybody is looking to see what the hell is coming around the corner,...and it is you and your Thunderheaders!

With just a slight blip of the throttle you can make Thunderheaders talk, growl, whine and scream!...at 90 miles an hour or at 5 miles an hour.

Thunderheaders don't idle, they GROWL!

Everytime I ride with someone new they always ask me how I make my pipes "talk".

Thunderheaders are fun, fun, fun!

Thunderheaders are the best pipe if you like to "show off". (just keeping it real)

You can buy Thunderheaders with a falsee pipe to maintain the dual look.

I like my Thunderheaders for the type of riding I do, around town or no further than 200 miles one way. I have kids so the wife and I can't go far and stay out late.

Reasons that you might not like the Thunderheader:

If you like to tour on your bike, Thunderheaders are loud for the people behind you. Unless you have friends like I do, who like to hear bad *** pipes and show off.

You might not want the Thunderheaders if you like to listen to your radio.

Thunderheaders are not the best looking pipe. But they are made for performance not looks.

You have to get the heat shield to cover the bluing of the pipe.

There are alot of different pipes that are nice sounding and performing. But the Thunderheader suits my style at this time in my life. I'm 40 years young.

Whenever the day comes when I can tour on my bike, then and only then will I consider changing my Thunderheaders.

Thunderheaders aren't made, they are born!

I hope my experience with Thunderheaders is helpful to you.

Ride Safe!

ORIGINAL: scarygt

I'm going to be getting a RK Classic this winter and I'll do full exhaust, breather, and ecu upgrade right off the bat. My question to you is this: What do you folks think about doing pipes on just one side of the Road King? My buddy had the longshots on his Heritage Softail and I swear it was the best sounding pipes that i've ever heard on a hd... was real loud when you wanted it to be.. it made all kinds of neat popping and whiz zip noises in between shifts! For some reason I like those pipes sounds better than any that I've heard; the only problem is that I'd lose the dual pipe look. I'm not against the idea of losing that dual look, but at the same time I think pipes on one side might make the bike look uneven.

Are there any dual pipes that sound as good as the longshots? How about the BigShots dual setup??? I've listened to a bunch of sound bytes and I'm thinking that my exhaust decision is going to be the most difficult one that I make.

Come on guys / gals help me decide on the exhaust, Ralph
FACTS!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 PM
scott63
Cruiser

If you want 2 pipes on the same side check out Bassani Pro Streets

Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Frankenstein
Intermediate

Rineharts with the standard baffel, they bark real nice when you get on it or down shift. Real nice deep mellow tone at cruise speed and you can still talk to passenger or bike next to you. You can also order a louder or quieter baffel you prefference. Theese are the pipes hd should have come up with.
Very sleek looking to boot.
Gregg

Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Awesome review Baron3547 those sound like what I was talking about when I first created this thread. I will be putting a ton of miles on this new bike and I'm thinking that I might get sick of the TH after a little while. I think I'm going to go with the VH Dresser Duals with the Turn Down mufflers. I found a great deal on that setup with a Arlen Ness breather and PC III (usb). I've also listened to them often at the VH site and feel that they will be good for my kind of riding. I guess if I want to be super loud I'll pull the baffles out of them for going to bike night once a week.

Anyone running this setup (Dresser Duals with the VH turn downs)? They seem to sound nice and deep... can anyone that have them let me know your experiences with them.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO,the two into one pipe (pro one or thunder header) is the best performance pipe sold period but I for one like the look of the duels on a bagger.With that said,I love My Rinehart pipes.Quite when you stay out of the throttle and loud when you want them to be.

Quick Reply: Road King and Pipes... Help me decide