Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona riders: questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Arizona riders: questions....

Looks like we are moving to the Phoenix "area" from frozen Western Nebraska (2 below wind chill this morning !).
Questions for the Arizona riders: am I going to run into any problems registering my old Evo ? Looks like they require emissions testing on anything older than 5 years that will be registered in Phoenix OR use to commute to that area. Is the inspection strictly emissions or do they check the pipes for EPA, noise, etc ? Any other issues in Arizona ?

Can't wait to get out of this friggin cold !!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had to have my 06 emission tested for the first time a few weeks ago. All they tested for was emissions. I have Screamin Eagle II's and they didn't use any db meter or the like for noise. As far as the other issues in AZ. I have found the pro's outweigh the cons. First and foremost, oh course, is the weather, you can't beat year round riding. Lotsa stuff to do as far as runs and rallys, and you can carry a gun concealed or open on your hip without having to pay for any stinkin permits. I grew up im MN and believe me... this is better.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
Looks like we are moving to the Phoenix "area" from frozen Western Nebraska (2 below wind chill this morning !).
Questions for the Arizona riders: am I going to run into any problems registering my old Evo ? Looks like they require emissions testing on anything older than 5 years that will be registered in Phoenix OR use to commute to that area. Is the inspection strictly emissions or do they check the pipes for EPA, noise, etc ? Any other issues in Arizona ?

Can't wait to get out of this friggin cold !!
HG its a trade-off when the heat gets here and you'll find that out for yourself. You get 4-5 months of tolerable temp's then it's back to the inferno. As far as registering your Evo, if I had to do it again and not registered here yet I would try to register it elsewhere so I could avoid that emission BS and that's what I recommend. The Montana idea really appeals to me but I haven't pursued that avenue as yet. Good luck with you decision.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Just had to have my 06 emission tested for the first time a few weeks ago. All they tested for was emissions. I have Screamin Eagle II's and they didn't use any db meter or the like for noise. As far as the other issues in AZ. I have found the pro's outweigh the cons. First and foremost, oh course, is the weather, you can't beat year round riding. Lotsa stuff to do as far as runs and rallys, and you can carry a gun concealed or open on your hip without having to pay for any stinkin permits. I grew up im MN and believe me... this is better.
It sounds like the Swede can give you both sides of the coin, because I've been living here since 72' and may be spoiled. The only question I have is how your two daughters are handling the move.....

Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Good news ! Was a little concerned about the pipe BS. We can "openly carry" here too: but you can bet your sweet *** that when you do, you will be "contacted" by local law enforcement !!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Show Time
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to AZ!! I concur with TUCCI plus there are ways to get it passed through emissions if you happen to fail the first time.

-Chris

Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Originally Posted by TUCCI
HG its a trade-off when the heat gets here and you'll find that out for yourself. You get 4-5 months of tolerable temp's then it's back to the inferno.
Was out there two summers ago: August. Moving the father-in-law from Sun City. Loaded the damn moving trailer (semi) by myself in just a pair of shorts. Old ladies were waving their hankys from the windows thinking "jail bait" !! Hot as hell, but mornings and evenings were freakin awesome ! Thank god for 30 packs of Coors Light to stay hydrated....

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Originally Posted by Show Time
Welcome to AZ!! I concur with TUCCI plus there are ways to get it passed through emissions if you happen to fail the first time.

-Chris
Thanks ! Not there yet, but it's in the works: real estate is WAY cheap there right now !

Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
rtmichael
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TUCCI
HG its a trade-off when the heat gets here and you'll find that out for yourself. You get 4-5 months of tolerable temp's then it's back to the inferno. As far as registering your Evo, if I had to do it again and not registered here yet I would try to register it elsewhere so I could avoid that emission BS and that's what I recommend. The Montana idea really appeals to me but I haven't pursued that avenue as yet. Good luck with you decision.
When it let's too hot in Phoenix a 90 minute ride to Prescott will cool you down.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

If the bike is registered in Nebraska just prior to moving to AZ. would this give you one year to enjoy Arizona and find out what it is going to take. Are the emission standards state wide or just for Phoenix?

Quick Reply: Arizona riders: questions....